irvingtelder

2 posts in this topic

How I set up Mac OS 10.5.6 on my Eee PC 701

Equipment:

Eee Pc 701, 4GB SSD, 2GB Ram

120GB 2.5" Drive in External USB Housing

Tools Needed:

iDeneb 1.4 Mac OS 10.5.6 Install DVD

A second Mac that will boot and run the iDeneb 1.4 Mac OS 10.5.6 Install DVD.

A Chameleon bootloader installer (I used the one in the "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.9.0" app available at the TonyMacx86.com website).

What Doesn't Work: Original WiFi card, Power Button does not trigger shutdown/restart dialog, Fn Buttons

I plan to swap out the WiFi card with a Dell 1505 Wireless-N WiFi Mini PCIe Card, which has been reported to work.

The Eee PC 701 came with 512MB of RAM but I had already upgraded it to 2GB.

This is a conglomeration of info posted by others. I take no credit for it. There are other ways to do it but this is how I got it going. I'm posting this because it might save someone a lot of trouble as well as give their Eee 701 a new lease on life.

The Install

The EeePC 701 can't handle this installation for reasons unknown to me. Don't waste time trying as I did. You need an Intel-based Mac that will boot the iDeneb disk. Many PCs will also do this installation, but since I'm formatting GUID and want to install a new version of the Chameleon Bootloader a Mac is required.

Attach the external drive that will contain your new system to the second, installation computer. Boot from the iDeneb 1.4 disk.

Select the language (English is all I tried) and click the arrow to advance. From the tools menu, startup Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select the destination disk on the left and choose Partition. Make the Volume Scheme "1 Partition", name the disk, select the "Options" button and select "GUID Partition Table". For format, pick "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" if you are going to use the external hard drive permanently. If you're trying to use a USB Flash Memory device or have upgraded the SSD in the EeePC and want to use one of those (I don't recommend it unless they're at least 32GB), you might want to use "Mac OS Extended" (the not-journaled one) as this is supposed to cut down on rewrites for the flash memory. You could clone this external disk to the internal SSD (using Carbon Copy Cloner).

Apply the changes to the disk, wait for Disk Utility to finish, then quit Disk Utility.

Now proceed with the installation dialog, choosing your destination disk and so forth until you come to the screen with the "Customize" button. Click "Customize".

Here are the options you want to select in the customize screen:

"iDeneb Essential System"

Chipset > "ICHx Fixed"

Kernal > "Kernal 9.50 Voodoo"

Fix > "Battery Manager"

Fix > "Seatbelt Fix" (more on this later)

Fix > "PowerOff_Fix"

Video > Intel > "Intel GMA900"

Applications > "Kext Helper"

Applications > "OSx86 Tools"

Don't pick anything for Network or Audio. We'll take care of that later.

Proceed with the installation. You can cancel the "checking installation disk" process as that will save you a good bit of time.

The installation will take a while so be patient. After it's done successfully, restart the Mac.

Now, you need to open the "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]" app from TonyMacx86. When you get to the Custom Install screen, click "Continue" then click "Change Install Location". Pick your destination disk, then continue to the Custom Install screen. Here, choose ONLY:

Drivers & Bootloaders > Bootloaders > Chimera (whatever version is listed)

Customization > Themes > Chameleon (whatever version is listed)

OSx86 Software > ShowAllFiles

Click "Install" and let the install finish. You should now have a working installation for your Eee PC 701! But some

tweaking needs to be done.

You're going to need to install two or three new "kext" files once your EeePC is up and running. So let's get them now and put them on the startup disk. The kexts you need are these:

AttansicL2Ethernet.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

and maybe the 10.5.5 version of the "seatbelt.kext"

You can look around for them but you should be able to download them here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/3901259262/Eee..._iDeneb_1.4.zip

Unzip everything and put the kept files in a new folder at the root level of the external HD.

Startup

Now attach the external drive to the EeePC and startup. You'll probably need to hit F2 and choose the external HD as your startup disk. Save the bios settings and continue. The Chameleon bootloader will appear…quickly hit a key once so that it doesn't startup right away. With the arrow keys select the external HD (it probably already is selected automatically). Now type "-v -f" (that's minus v space minus f) and hit return. This will startup in "verbose" mode and force all the kexts to load. Might not be necessary but a good precaution at this point.

You'll see much startup verbiage, then the system will appear. Hopefully, you'll see a message that the setup app wouldn't run. Hey…you're in the Mac system now! Your account is "admin" and password is blank. Later, after we've done everything below but before you start tweaking your system settings, you should create a new admin level account for yourself and change the password on the admin account (or delete it entirely).

Fine Tuning

Let's get ethernet and audio working. Go to (folder) Applications > iDeneb App > OSx86Tools and open OSX86Tools. Push the "Install Kexts" button, migrate to the folder you where you put AttansicL2Ethernet.kext and VoodooHDA.kext, choose those two, then install them. You'll need to restart after that.

Let the Chameleon bootloader do it's thing this time and you should see special Apple startup screen, then get to the desktop. Check to see if audio and ethernet are working. If not, startup OSX86Tools again, select Repair Permissions, Set Extension Permissions and Touch Extensions Folder. Then Run Selected Tasks. This will take a while, then you'll have to restart again.

Sometimes kext changes don't take right away and you have to restart a couple of times.

Check to see if disk images (dmg files) will mount or if they crash your system during the process. If they crash you, then you need to first remove the "seatbelt.kext" you currently have and install (with OSX86Tools) the one you downloaded.

To throw the current "seatbelt.kext" away (in the System > Library > Extensions folder) you may have to enable root user and log in as root. Search Google for 10.5 instructions on enabling root user.

Once you get your system setup the way you want, it would probably be a good idea to save a clone image (using Carbon Copy Cloner) of your startup disk onto another drive or Mac. That way, if you foul things up down the road you can always restore from the clone! This is better than trying to use Time Machine on a Hackintosh.

That's it, really. You're on your own.

I just wanted to add that to get around the problem of certain applications or dialog windows dropping off the bottom of the Eee PC 701 screen, I used the AppleDisplayScaleFactor command in terminal with scale factors depending on the applications.

Also, testing the drives with XBench I've discovered that the external USB HD is performing a lot better than the stock 4GB SSD inside.

The external mic DOES NOT work. The mic-in jack DOES work.

After switching the stock WiFi card with a Dell 1505 Wireless-N WiFi Mini PCIe Card, I now have WiFi working. The card was around $15 including shipping on Ebay.