platform=x86pc -What does it do

ghw9132

2 posts in this topic

I have an Asrock dual 915gl mobo with Celeron d underclocked @ 1.7ghz (to use ddr266 ram) DVD install with only oah750 files patched.

I noticed in the speed boost section of the wiki that using the boot option platform=x86pc should increase speed. So i attempted it and got the error "Unable to find driver for this platform: "X86PC"". Same error when selecting acpi.

My questions are as follows:

What does the platform=x86pc do? Will it help the speed on my system?

And why is it unable to find drivers, are they included with the vmware image and not the DVD?

Thanks,

note: in case joelogic or any other moderator is reading this, yes i have used the search function, and did not find any solution.

I'm wondering exactly what the x86pc switch does myself.

From my knowledge, ACPI stands for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface, which is referring to the computer's ability to control the power of it's devices. When you boot with the ACPI switch, I gather this is turned on, so your OS X has a better ability to control your computer's devices (i.e. powering down your hard drive when you're not using it, putting the computer to sleep, etc.)

Back in the day, the x86 didn't have these options (like WAYY back with AT power supplies, when the power switch wasn't just a soft suggestion, it actually cut the power to the computer). Since it's development, the need for advanced power control has arisen, and ACPI was developed. However, I believe apple put the X86PC switch in to turn it off in the case of compatability issues.

Now, what I'd really like to know is what exactly the switches do in terms of kexts and other things while loading the kernel. I need to be able to boot into ACPI mode to use my wireless card, but I can only boot into X86PC mode, so if I knew what it was doing when it was booting into ACPI, maybe I could disable the thing that's screwing it up.