unbootable system, seems to become that way on sleep

Knacker

4 posts in this topic

I recently installed Lion after my old SL install stopped working. Everything seemed to be working perfectly, updated to 10.7.2, had sleep working, patched DSDT -everything. It ate up an entire day.

So, I'm just rocking along, I have to go run errands so I put my computer to sleep. Big mistake.

When I get back, it won't wake up. On hard reboot, chameleon launches just fine, but the system hangs on the apple logo. It never even shows the spinning gear.

That was the first time. I tried many many things to get it to boot, but eventually I just scrubbed the whole thing and decided to reinstall.

It wouldn't work. It seemed to just stop booting after it got the device path of the hard drive (I'll get a screenshot a little later). I tried multiple hard drives, tried every bios setting I could think of. It would never boot.

Finally, I was going to give up and go back to windows. I stuck one of the many hard drives that I THOUGHT had an unbootable system on it.

{censored}-a. It booted to the mac os desktop.

So, I got it reinstalled, got everything working.

I don't think I ever let it sleep, but now, it's back to the same problem. AGAIN.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this is? I read something somewhere about Lion causing problems with your BIOS. Is that true? I've tried clearing my bios many times, but it never worked. Is there some setting I need to check?

It seems completely random when it works and when it doesn't. And it seems independent of the actual install, if that makes any sense.

My hardware as follows:

P5E Deluxe motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 cpu

Nvidia 8800GT video card

80gb AHCI SATA hard drive

I've tried both with and without these kexts:

AppleNullCPUPowerManagement

Disabler

FakeSMC

Tried completely vanilla install

It does not seem to be caused by my graphics enabler.

Can anyone help?

EDIT: Also, after rebooting, it ofc marks the drive as dirty and runs FSCK on it; but it only gets to "Checking catalog file..." and hangs there, and there is no more disk activity at all. It seems to be a hard freeze, without even a kernel panic or anything similar. What gives?

*sigh* I found the problem.

Apparently, for some reason, it doesn't like LegacyAppleYukon2.kext.

With the potential to help other people with weird boot problems like this, here is what I did:

I created a live USB drive with a very basic lion install on it. Then, using the kextload command line utility, I went into my hard drive and loaded my custom kexts one by one... Every time I tried to load that particular one, the system froze up hard. The mouse didn't move. That was what was happening at boot, it was enough to stop it dead in its tracks in the middle of a fsck operation, only because there's no mouse or interactivity during a boot I had no idea that's what was happening.

Now to find some way to get my network card working.

At least I have flash drives.