How to edit .kext's?

sdelano

4 posts in this topic

I can't seem to use TextEditor to edit .kext's

What do I use?

To edit kexts:

1. Select the kext

2. right click, choose 'Show Package Contents', a new folder opens up. (the *.kext is actually a folder)

3. double click on 'Contents' and you ll get to the listings. The file you are looking for is typically the 'Info.plist' file.

4. To edit the file, TextEditor will work now, or use the Property list editor.

5. To edit and save changes of the kexts in the System folder you need to be 'root'. Open a terminal windows, and type 'sudo su' and then follow the prompts.

6. In the same terminal window use:

/Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit &

Notice the '&' sign, this will background the TextEdit job and free up the terminal.

7. If you are not so well versed with Unix or OSX, it would be helpful to read up some. It might be tough at first but in the long run it will help you set up a good OSx86 system.

more...

After you are done editing, then changes will not work until you reboot. But BEFORE you reboot. It would be wise to

8. fix permissions

diskutil repairPermissions /

and

9. invalidate the cache

touch /System/Library/Extensions

or

kextcache -a i386 -c
kextcache -a i386 -e
kextcache -a i386 -k /System/Library/Extensions

shutdown -r now

Best

So I did this to edit my ATIRadeon9700.kext to add my device I.D. to the list, but now when I try to boot it freezes on the gray screen with the apple in the middle. I have a feeling it has something to do with the video card....Radeon X800GTO PCIe. Is there anyway to reverse what I have done from the terminal on the DVD setup screen?

Thanks,

Stephen

Is there anyway to reverse what I have done from the terminal on the DVD setup screen?

Thanks,

Stephen

Hi yes, to reverse it is easiest to boot into single user mode and reverse the edit you did. Or, you could try to boot into safe mode, which will have a graphical interface. Try the safe mode first.

Single User Mode: enter '-s' at the boot prompt.

Safe Mode: enter '-x' at the boot prompt.

After you reverse the changes, remember to 'touch /System/Library/Extensions'