Cannot set OSX partition active

Wallyv

2 posts in this topic

Alrighty so i installed OSX 10.4.6 from the JaS install DVD. Im trying to dual boot with Windows XP on the same drive. Well i thought every thing went well as every thing was up and running, but it seems as the only way to boot OSX is by using the install cd. Read around here and found out that the partition probably was not active. So i download some boot cd that has lots of tools on it, Hirens. Well it seems that none of the programs that came with the Boot CD want to set the mac partition as active. I tried about 3 different tools and even disk part in windows. I have no problems setting the Windows partition as active just the OSX one.

Any suggestions

Also My system is a HP laptop DV-4000

Intel Celeron M 1.6ghz that supports SSE2 with 512 mb of Ram

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900

Nothing special but OSX boots a ton faster than windows.

Oh also im pretty sure im getting this B0 error people talk about. It just sits with a blinking cursor.

A b0 error usually says "b0 error".

Setting OSX partition active: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

If the Darwin bootloader is set to default to the Windows partition, it will go back and try to boot Windows even if you select the OSX partition.

Setting the timeout parameter will force the Darwin (OSX) bootloader to appear.

Boot into OSX.

Edit the boot.plist file at "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" and add the following:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

You can edit the file by dragging it to the Desktop and editing it with TextEdit, then dragging it back, answering the 2 resulting dialogs - Authenticate and yes to replace, then followed by using Disk Utility to repair permissions on the OSX partition.

Or you can do it via Terminal with this command:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist