BEST way to virtualize Lion or Snow Leopard?

thefinalprophecy

3 posts in this topic

I already own a MacBook Pro but I want to use my work Dell Latitude E6300 laptop to test out some Mac client software that my company deploys. I know I can install it on its own partition and dual boot but I don't really have the time to troubleshoot all the issues so I'm thinking about virtualizing it.

My question: what is the BEST way to virtualize it? I have tried with both VMWare and with Virtualbox but they are pretty laggy. My CPU does support VT-x. I'd like to get as close to the real experience as possible while still using a VM. So, what are people's opinions on the best way to do it?

I've been a part of the OS x86 scene since the beginning, back when it was 100x harder than it is now, but I've owned a MacBook for the last couple of years so I haven't really been keeping up with the scene that much lately.

Running Lion or Snow Leopard in VMWare Workstation as a Mac OS X guest works flawlessly. You need to use Albert's Unlocker to enable the hidden Mac OS X guest mode in the Windows version of VMWare Workstation.

Simply mount the official OS X ISO in a SCSI CD-Rom device in VMWare and install it normally. Zero patches are required.

Install the official VMWare guest tools (darwin313.iso which comes with the Mac version of VMWare), and then install the svga II driver made by someone else for faster graphics.

On my PC it's as fast as a native installation except for graphics heavy transitions. If it's laggy then you have a crappy system. You need to dedicate atleast 4GiB of RAM to the VM to get it to run without freezing all the time.

I forgot, Lion can't be directly installed since it's an upgrade only DMG. Either install Snow Leopard directly and upgrade using the Lion DMG or follow these steps to create a bootable lion installation disk from the upgrade DMG.

http://www.sysprobs.com/create-bootable-li...based-computers