Mac OS X update doesn't show desktop

Rhapa

5 posts in this topic

After updating my system from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 (using the combo download from the Apple Download Site) the system doesn't load the Desktop. On tonymacx86 blog it says to install the latest nvidia drivers, but I didn't see the warning before updating, so I'm stuck right now. Is there a way to install the driver (download in the .dmg format) without a Mac OS X installation available in the broken system or I'll have to format the installation, reinstall the system and made it right from there before updating?

PS: Now I have no problem in formatting the current system.

Well, I formatted the installation and installed the Nvidia drivers first (they can't be installed on older system than 10.6.8 but editing the .dist file on the package's files can manage that).

Doing this the system booted up one time with incredible fastness (less than 30 seconds) and the video rendering for basic effects (just like the drop down and up of the windows showing menus) was amazing and smooth (my system was a little buggy :) ) but although all of this cocoa wasn't working. I trying reinstalling the video drive, with the original file (without the modification for it to run in the 10.6.3 version) and when I reboot the problem just came back.

As it's said: happiness of the poor don't last long....

Still trying to get it work, if someone has an idea (since I'm a beginner) I would be very happy and thankful... :)

Today I made it all over again but first I deleted NVEnabler64.kext and all the retail kexts involved with Nvidia, then I installed the 10.6.8 official Nvidia driver to finally install the combo utpdate. When I rebooted the system reboot smooth (only two error in verbose mode were find, one really annoying where constantly said that map segment has failed) and the desktop appeared. Now I'm reinstalling the driver (my Wifi doesn't work, my video card is not activated and power management is awfull). Also a lot of simple apps keeps crashing, such as iChat and Lizard.

Now all I have to do is to "dilapidate" the system. Thank you anyway...

did u patch your librarys? i chat and itunes and alot of other programs need to be patched to run correctly. just dont patch front row.

I didn't. To be honest I don't have a clue of what you're talking about. What do you mean about patching my libraries?

I'm gonna make a research to be sure about it.