Next steps help needed on Dell 1525

scottiemedic

1 post in this topic

OK, first time post. I've had my Dell 1525 running OS X for quite a while now. I originally had Leopard and made the jump to SL. It's been running great, dual booted with Windows 7. I got extremely busy and put off playing with my hackintosh for far too long, and want to get it back up to speed. I previously played with it, started getting KPs so I went back to what I had and put it off.

Firstly, my hardware config:

Inspiron 1525 running SL 10.6.6

Core2Duo T7250 (1.86GHz)

4GB DDR2

Seagate 5400rpm HDD (really need to change that!!)

Dell 350 Bluetooth module (I think it's the 350)

Intel 2GB flash cache module

Broadcomm BCM94312 b/g/n adapter

Good ole Intel graphics

Loaded originally with iAtkos if memory serves me right, cause I couldn't get the Boot132 with original DVD method working.

So the questions... I updated to 10.6.8, changed the PMVersion to 23 and got kernel panics. This is where I just reset back to 10.6.6 via Time Machine and didn't go much further. I see forum after forum of people that have tried PMVersion 0, different DSDT.aml files, etc etc. Is there a 'good' upgrade path to take to get to .6.8? Changing PMVersion, new DSDT, editing config files that are wrong? I'm hoping in my ignorance that I just have a bad config or DSDT or something that can be changed and then the correct PM parameters or whatever wrote. I'm hugely PC savvy, but very newb at Mac. This was originally a try to see if you can project that ended up being a 'I like OS X, maybe I need to get a real Mac' project!

Secondly, I can't find good info about whether 3100 graphics are getting any success (QE/CI). I'm running at the right resolution for my Dell, but if it can be perfected with 3100, I want perfet :) I can answer or upload any files/info needed to get me pointed in the right direction. Since I am so young to OS X, I just don't know where to start. I don't need my hand held and spoon fed, but with my limited knowledge, every problem is a molehill to a mountain problem for me. I barely was able to get my hack running again after the 10.6.8 update/downgrade. I thought I was going to have to start from scratch.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Oh, and if/when I get it successfully updated, is it worth reading the tutorials to go to Lion? I've seen mixed reviews from the hackintosh and Apple community about Lion being a good, bad or indifferent upgrade.

I'll shut up now, I've babbled long enough!! Thanks in advance!!