GTX 570 2560MB or GTX 580 1536MB

Fredster730

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I've been reading several threads and I didn't find any one with the EVGA GTX 570 2560MB card. I just sold my Radeon HD 6850 (Which worked flawlessly using Andy's ISO) and I'm planning to get a Nvidia GTX card. I'm not sure but there are some that are having trouble with getting their 570 working on the Mac? It seems like it is easier to get the 580 working (I could be wrong)? Anyway, I'll be using this card mainly for Real-Time (RT) rendering. Software such as V-RAY RT, Octane Render, etc. I like to get some opinions between these two cards. Here are their specs:

EVGA GTX 580 1536MB - $479.99

Core: 772 MHz

Shader Clock: 1544MHz

Stream Processors: 512 Processor Cores

Effective Memory Clock: 4008MHz

Memory Size: 1536MB

Memory Interface: 384-bit

SLI Ready

EVGA GTX 570 2560MB - $379.99 (+20 rebate from Buy.com)

Core: 732MHz

Shader Clock: 1464MHz

Stream Processors: 480 Processor Cores

Effective Memory Clock: 3800MHz

Memory Size: 2560MB

Memory Interface: 320-bit

SLI Ready

To me, it seems like the GTX 570 is the best bang for your buck. If I were to get the 570, do you think I can get it to work on the Mac? I'm looking to buy a new card soon.

(*UPDATE 8/31/11 - I just purchased the EVGA 570 GTX 2560MB card for $360 after rebate. The deal was too good to pass since the rebate offer ends today. As soon as it gets here, I'll follow the Fermi 5xx guide from another thread and let you guys know if it works. Crossing my fingers! ;))

Both have been confirmed to be working in Lion using a few tweaks such as a little hex editing which you can find the tutorial to do in this same nvidia section (I'm a bit lazy to link to the topic atm) but rest assure, they do work even enabling openGL is possible the only slight issue you might run into is that some users actually report having a different dev ID on some 570's for some odd reason so you might want to just make sure before hand that you get a brand that has been said to work.

Like I said though, just browse through the topic that has already been made for the 5XX Fermi cards and you'll find our solutions there.

On a side note though, I wasn't aware they had a 570 with such a large mem capacity that's new to me...

Hey guys,

I've been reading several threads and I didn't find any one with the EVGA GTX 570 2560MB card. I just sold my Radeon HD 6850 (Which worked flawlessly using Andy's ISO) and I'm planning to get a Nvidia GTX card. I'm not sure but there are some that are having trouble with getting their 570 working on the Mac? It seems like it is easier to get the 580 working (I could be wrong)? Anyway, I'll be using this card mainly for Real-Time (RT) rendering. Software such as V-RAY RT, Octane Render, etc. I like to get some opinions between these two cards. Here are their specs:

EVGA GTX 580 1536MB - $479.99

Core: 772 MHz

Shader Clock: 1544MHz

Stream Processors: 512 Processor Cores

Effective Memory Clock: 4008MHz

Memory Size: 1536MB

Memory Interface: 384-bit

SLI Ready

EVGA GTX 570 2560MB - $374.99 (after rebate)

Core: 732MHz

Shader Clock: 1464MHz

Stream Processors: 480 Processor Cores

Effective Memory Clock: 3800MHz

Memory Size: 2560MB

Memory Interface: 320-bit

SLI Ready

To me, it seems like the GTX 570 is the best bang for your buck. If I were to get the 570, do you think I can get it to work on the Mac? I'm looking to buy a new card soon.

go with the 570, its much cheaper as the 580 and the performance difference is not that significant

iam using the ASUS 570 and its overclockable like hell, so i can beat the standart 580 without any problems

however, iam currently trying to find some support for my hackintosh, cause i have to run OSX with GraphicsEnabler=No (which means, my card is totally unsupported)

the 470 however is reported to work good on Lion

@TH3L4UGH1NGM4N - Is this the link you are referring to? Fermi 5xx Guide Link if so, I read that thread and doesn't seem too hard. Also, how can I find the dev ID on a graphics card? If I can find out it can support it, I'll buy it tomorrow. This EVGA GTX 570 is screaming my name everyday! I don't know why EVGA is the only company that's making the 2.5GB memory version but I'm sure other companies will soon follow.

@peter.lapisu - I agree with you. This GTX 570 is definitely a better deal. The only thing is trying to get it to work its true potential on the hackintosh. There's someone on YouTube that got their GTX 570 to work

but he uses Gainward.

• 3 weeks later...