Finally, everything (almost) working

3 posts in this topic

Finally...it WORKS :idea:

Windows XP + OS X 10.4.7 on a MSI S260 (MS-1012) notebook.

80GB hard drive split down the middle. Installed Windows XP on the first partition (NTFS). Windows XP will not give you an option to format partitions larger than 32GB with FAT32, only NTFS.

To create a partition larger than 32GB, I used Free FDISK (you can find it @ FreeDOS.ORG http://www.freedos.org/cgi-bin/freedos-lsm...base/fdisk.lsm). Make a bootable disk, CD or thumb drive, and copy Free FDISk to it. Boot to a DOS prompt, run FDISK and create a new primary partition. Make the new partition active.

I used the 10.4.6 OS X install DVD with the JAS patches. once the OS X is installed, it will boot by default unless you hit F8 and you get a menu option for Windows or OS X. If you want to have Windows XP boot by default, you'll have to make the first partition (Windows) active, copy the CHAIN0 file to your root, and modify boot.ini to add the additional OS (by pointing to CHAIN0).

The drawback to using boot.ini is that it only works with XP, but not Vista. The boot.ini file is still there in Vista, but it's no longer functional. I will try to install Vista, and use the OSX partition as the boot default to see if it works. I'll post more information on this link later.

Here are a couple of OS X Installation notes:

Unless you have the specific hardware, don't select the additional drivers or patches as they may create problems.

Case in point: the audio on my notebook (ICH6 + Realtek AL655) would not work because I was installing the USB SoundBlaster and the Sigmatel 9220 drivers. Removing them doesn't seem to work, and you'll have to re-install the OS.

Do not install any of the AMD drivers if you have an Intel machine. Do not install ATI radeon Mobility drivers if you have Intel GMA graphics (this last one doesn't interfere with anything but it's not necessary).

The GMA900 drivers included in the Install DVD do not support CI/QE. You can download working drivers here:

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=24...523066965593919

The Windows XP partition will show up on the desktop and you can copy files back and forth. However the mac parition is not visible to Windows (unless you install and HFS driver or 3rd party app).

It's both, the ALC655 provides the codec interface to the ICH6 AC97 audio controller. The way I understand it, one does not work without the other.

Anyway, the setup is kinda weird. In the System Profiler, the Audio section says "No Information Found", but if you go to the sound pane (system preferences), the output tab says AC97 Audio (PCM).

The Microphone and heaphone jack work fine, but the SP/DIF does not.

Something else that works, all the Fn buttons (sound, brightness, numlock, even the sleep button), it seem to work OK.

UPDATE

In OS X, the NTFS (Windows XP) partition is mounted as read only, and I haven't found any way to mount it with writing rights.

As for the Mac (HFS Extended + Journaled) partition in Windows, I tried a couple of things:

MacDrive 6.xx does not see the partition at all, and their knowledge base specifically says that dual formatted disks (multiple partitions with different partition types) are not supported unless you're running Apple's "Boot Camp".

MacDisk 7.1 seems to work, but does not integrate or mount the volume, rather it offers its own browser/explorer-like interface, which is rather awkward, but works neverthe less.

One alternative would be to format the Windows partition with FAT32 instead of NTFS using the utility I mentioned in the original post (Free FDISK). Another would be to setup a 3rd "common use" FAT32 patition that either OS can access with full read/write rights. This way you maintain the advantages and security of NTFS, and you have a common storage space for both OS's.

If anyone has better alternatives, please let me know.