Dell Precision Workstation 370, compatible hardware?

camdude

1 post in this topic

Hi everyone. I recently picked up a used DELL Precision Workstation 370. It has:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 520 Prescott (2.8 gHz) with Hyperthreading; MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

RAM: 1.5 Gb DDR2 PC2-4200

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS (distributed through PNY)

Audio: SoundMAX onboard audio (I believe this is a AC'97 audio system, emulating a sound blaster)

Hard Drive: 500 GB Hitachi Deskstar; SATA 2.0 (3 gb/s), 48-bit LBA supported.

Networking:

Ethernet: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx (5751)

Wireless: Netgear WG311T 108 mb/s PCI adapter

Chipset: Intel i925X (Rev. b1), it is, of course, manufactured by DELL.

All information was taken from my knowledge, and Piriform Speccy. A little note about the networking: I know that the ethernet works, but I need wireless, because I can't put cables (router is about 50 feet away, through walls and doors, and I rent a house, so I can't drill.) through to this computer.

I have no issue upgrading the RAM, and if the sound card isn't compatible (I've heard cases where it isn't) I have a M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, and a Sound Blaster Live! both dated from around 2000.

Now I'm not asking for a setup guide, but I was wondering if there were any experiences with this hardware (or computer), and what the outcome was. I know that in the 10.5.2 supported computers list, that this workstation is listed, but the person who wrote the post failed to write about any kernel modifications, specialized chipset kexts, etc.

All help is appreciated, and thanks in advance! :)

-Camden