Vaio - DSDT and Internal/External Displays

nesnfsn

1 post in this topic

I have been at this Sony Vaio notebook (VGN-AR840E) for more than 1 year now, on and off. Finally, updated it to 10.6.8 after getting help from Ahmed and Kizwan modding my BIOS on another site. Needed to enable AHCI and VT, both of which were not visible before options were hidden/locked by Sony by default.

Now, updating past 10.6.3 (Nawcom's CD and Retail disc) was a breeze until 10.6.7. Had to replace Apple80211Monitor.bundle both after manually running 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 updates, or the system crawled, w/o wireless connection. My Vaio's LAN has never been recognized (Marvell Yukon 88E8055) and my internal screen fades to black if I had selected GraphicsEnabler=Yes at boot, or included that key and string in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Yesterday, went to my office, borowed a Samsung SyncMaster 23 inch monitor, an hdmi cable, as well as a vga and a mini-stereo plug audio cable, hooked up the hdmi cable to the laptop, booted, used GraphicsEnabler=Yes, and both my internal and the Samsung went or remained black/blank.

Removed the hdmi cable, hooked up the vga and audio cable to the pc and headphone jacks on the laptop and the monitor, and entered GraphicsEnabler=Yes, and voila, 1440x900 resolution on a GeForce 8600 M GT with 512 Mb VRAM showing on Samsung SyncMaster Display. My internal display goes black after booting with Chameleon, but video was now working on YouTube, Major League Baseball, and .avi video files (before no video on all with audio so knew computer was trying).

Ran SystemProfiler from Utilities directory:

Then, found info on the forums here, explaining how to run IORegistryExplorer to search for PCIO, and got the following (without a name or value for my PciRoot):

Then, ran DSDTSE, and selected Extract DSDT, and then searched for Device PCI, and got the following result (2 screen captures since whole section extended beyond first screen):

The first .png file shows the _ADR name and value for my PciRoot (Device PCI). I changed this to _UID as suggested in another thread, repaired permissions, rebooted, and external display seemed much more snappy with GraphicsEnabler=Yes selected at boot. Internal display still black/blank when selecting GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

But there are other names in PCIO other than just _ADR (or now _UID), there is also _HID, _CID, which were listed as appropriate on the other thread for a different notebook (believe it was an Asus) and DSDT settings. However, here, in my DSDT, we also have SUPP, CTRL and MCHC. Does anyone know what these names and their Zero values are for? Could these, anyone or in combination be what controls the LVDS in a Sony, and be at the heart of my problem? If so, can anyone advise whether they need to be deleted or modified to allow the internal display to work as well as the external display does when selected GraphicsEnabler=Yes at boot or inserting key/string in com.apple.Boot.plist?

Would appreciate any help, and thought these screen grabs might assist someone skilled and experienced in DSDT to analyze my Sony Vaio and assist me (and hopefully others with Sony Vaio laptops and their internal display problems.

nesnfsn in sunny South Florida (and getting brighter as time and experience with OSX86 goes on).