Dell Inspiron 531

indramohan

2 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have Dell Inspiron 531 Specs are listed below, i have almost complete 10.6.8 SL up and running with no issues. I will post my installation process too , please reply/comment if you have any doubt.

Mobo: Dell custom

Chipset : Nforce

Sound: AC 97

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2

GPU: Nvidia 8600GT

RAM: 4 GB

HDD: 500 GB SATA Samsung

Installation Process:

Get the retail SL ( buy the original for 35$ or download from famous torrents).

There are many sites where we can get the details how to make USB SL for MBR or in Windows use Transmac or Magic ISO and burn the image to the DVD.

No need to change anything on Bios ( i dont have an option to change SATA to ACHI or vice versa), now download Nawcom bood CD http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=306 , press f5 and insert the SL DVD and boot with it and type -v ( verbose mode) dont worry if it took long time saying no ATA devices found, wait for couple of minutes and it will boot. Then its same old process to install the OSX.

After it reboots , again boot with Nawcom CD, and select the installation HDD that you just used to install SL. ofcourse boot with kernel flag -v.

After it boots - internet should work by default if not then boot to windows and download the latest update combo ( type in google and if you ge the direct link from apple). Mac SL by default can read NTFS but no Write, so meaning if you download in your windows partition dont worry to get that SL.

After the download of the combo update, install it, BUT DONT REBOOT, now download Multibeat from tonymac, install it ( Choose Easy beast, system utilities,NVenabler under misc if you have Nvidia if not just leave it and choose OSX tools too) reboot and again boot from the nawcom CD, now download OSX tools and also latest Legacy_kernel from the Nawcom site. Open the OSX tools and click on install kernel and use the latest downloaded legacy kernel.

Reboot and now boot using SL HDD and always use -v kernel flag ( you will if you have any trouble booting) and now install below kext and you should be good to go.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253773 ( thanks to the author, this will help your CPU a lot, I am running Logic Pro and no problems).

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211866 ( this one helped for faster boot).

( Use Kext Helper to install these kext's or use any other software).

FYI: Download nForceLan ATA from kexts.com site.

• 3 years later...

I know this is EXTREMELY old (nearly 4 years!!)

But having JUST received this system (with an Athlon64 x2) I can't for the life of me get past the "still waiting for root device" (left it running overnight to no avail) I'm wondering what exactly causes that. (Like OP said, no AHCI options)

I have 2GB RAM, a SATA blu-Ray burner, and a 2TB SATA hdd.. (Any other info you need, please let me know..) I have a GX260 hackintosh, but am leaving that PC to my daughter and want to use this one.

EDIT

The version of Nawcoms mod cd as NOT the latest, and therefore didn't have latest NForceATA kept.. Redid with latest and it worked like a charm!! Updating to 10.6.8 as I type....

EDIT 2

Kernel should be installed after combo update (and multibeat) but BEFORE restarting... It just hangs otherwise....

Redoing....