Full Component list for Sandybridge Build?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've been reading through a ton of posts in the Buying Thoughts forum about the best hardware for OSX86 as I haven't done a build since a Q6600 a long time ago. While I'm finding a lot of great information, I'm not finding much specific to 10.7.

I'd like to do a Sandybridge build, most likely with an i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, and a "decent" video card that will run OpenGL acceleration for Photoshop CS5.

Does anyone have any specific hardware recommendations when it comes to Mobo and Video card and 10.7 compatibility? Largest priority is ease of update, so the less patches required, the better.

Thanks!

B.

Try the following on for size (searched google for "sandy bridge hackintosh"):

Tonymac's Sandy Bridge Guide

You are my hero. Thanks!

After looking at that post, I'm wondering if the GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 would work as well. It seems some have it working, some don't, but few people are specific, and it's a Z68 board that's cheaper than the

GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3.

There are a number of comments in the post about this, but no reply as of yet.

Thanks again,

B.

I ordered an H67MA-UD2H half price a few days ago, but if I've had the money for a Z68 and 2500K, the Z68MX-UD2H-B3 would have been my first choice. The design is superb, the feedback is more than enthousiast on Newegg and it seems to work fine. Here's a guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...=137595#p137595

Don't forget to select your RAM from Gigabyte supported list.

Great, thanks for the help. Is there a reason all these GB builds use ATI instead of nVidia video cards? It's been a while since I've done a build, and nVidia was always the way to go back then. I have a 9800GTX+ I had planned to use, but are the ATI's better for updates at all?

Thanks!

All new Macs use AMD/ATI graphic cards, that's why.

Some Nvidias GeForce 4xx (Fermi) work too, anyway. GT430, GTX470 and GTX480, for sure. Check the exact model before buying any of these, due to non-reference PCBs that could mess up with the installation.

All new Macs use AMD/ATI graphic cards, that's why.

Some Nvidias GeForce 4xx (Fermi) work too, anyway. GT430, GTX470 and GTX480, for sure. Check the exact model before buying any of these, due to non-reference PCBs that could mess up with the installation.

Ahhh, should have thought to check that first, sorry. Thanks!