macbook component level repair

3 posts in this topic

I just recently picked up a 13" macbook off craigslist. The seller stated that the only issue was bad ram modules, took it back to the computer repair shop that i work at, popped in some ddr2 ram, all i got was the rapid blinking sleep led on the front. to my understanding, that signifies bad/no ram. I have verified the ram I used works in another macbook. took apart the system to find there was a bit of spill damage on the motherboard. I went and cleaned up the whole board and ram sockets using MEK(chemical solvent) and a soft fine bristle toothbrush. Now the board looks like its in perfect condition, except it still won't recognize any ram modules at all. I have tried just one stick in each slot, and exact pairs and all i get in the blinking sleep light. After that, I attempted to reflow both the northbridge and southbridge chips with a dark IR reflow station we have at work. still the same issue. Im getting the feeling that there might be a dead component somewhere between the ram sockets and the path they follow to the NB. at this point i feel like im at a loss with this system.

i dont know the exact model(left laptop at work to hide from wife). I know its a A1181, 2.16ghz core 2 duo, came with a 160gb drive, 13" screen, plastic body. the number on the board identified it as a 820-2213-A. If anyone out there with the schematics would be able to tell me what components i should focus on, i would be forever grateful....

EDIT: turns out after another MEK bath in a DIY "ultrasonic cleaner", and using a different type of flux under the chip, and a northbridge reflow has fixed it. figured id post this for documentation sake.

LONG STORY SHORT:

if a 13" '07 macbook 2.16ghz core 2 duo always has rapid blinking sleep light and doesnt turn on, even though the ram is in fully.... It might need a northbridge reflow.

• 2 months later...
I just recently picked up a 13" macbook off craigslist. The seller stated that the only issue was bad ram modules, took it back to the computer repair shop that i work at, popped in some ddr2 ram, all i got was the rapid blinking sleep led on the front. to my understanding, that signifies bad/no ram. I have verified the ram I used works in another macbook. took apart the system to find there was a bit of spill damage on the motherboard. I went and cleaned up the whole board and ram sockets using MEK(chemical solvent) and a soft fine bristle toothbrush. Now the board looks like its in perfect condition, except it still won't recognize any ram modules at all. I have tried just one stick in each slot, and exact pairs and all i get in the blinking sleep light. After that, I attempted to reflow both the northbridge and southbridge chips with a dark IR reflow station we have at work. still the same issue. Im getting the feeling that there might be a dead component somewhere between the ram sockets and the path they follow to the NB. at this point i feel like im at a loss with this system.

i dont know the exact model(left laptop at work to hide from wife). I know its a A1181, 2.16ghz core 2 duo, came with a 160gb drive, 13" screen, plastic body. the number on the board identified it as a 820-2213-A. If anyone out there with the schematics would be able to tell me what components i should focus on, i would be forever grateful....

EDIT: turns out after another MEK bath in a DIY "ultrasonic cleaner", and using a different type of flux under the chip, and a northbridge reflow has fixed it. figured id post this for documentation sake.

LONG STORY SHORT:

if a 13" '07 macbook 2.16ghz core 2 duo always has rapid blinking sleep light and doesnt turn on, even though the ram is in fully.... It might need a northbridge reflow.

Is the northbridge the chip located on the backside of the board?

nope, the one on the back of the board is the southbridge. best thing to do is type in the numbers on the chip into google. 9 out of 10 times you will be able to identify the chip that way.

btw, with this macbook that i got, the northbridge is the chip directly under the cpu. I managed to get it working about 3 weeks after i posted this thread. I had to give it an ultrasonic bath in MEK for about 20 minutes, i did a reflow on the chip once, didn't float it though, it failed about a month after that, the second time, i brought up the temps a bit more, and floated the chip. it has been fine since then. my first macbook, and i love it, i prefer it over my acer laptop. :)