[SOLVED] Idlehalt=0? NullCPUManagement? Audio Stutter.

6 posts in this topic

Hi there!

Currently I am running OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.7 on the following system:

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D

CPU: Intel i7-870 at stock.

RAM: 8GB DDR3

GPU: Zotac nVidia GTX470

Bootloader: Chimera 1.4.0

I use a Griffin iMic for my audio through USB.

If I boot up normally through Chimera, everything works fine except my audio, which stutters often, and is completely unusable in some apps like Garageband. If I boot with "idlehalt=0" my audio is completely fine, in all applications. However, I am unsure as to whether this is the best method to deal with this. On boot in verbose mode, I occasionally see errors which mention "p-state stepper error 12578" (or similar, I am unsure) and my general performance is fairly poor considering my specs.

My question is whether something like NullCPUManagement might fix my audio stutter whilst leaving my computer performing up to standard.

In another, possibly related note, when I click "About My Mac" in the Apple menu, all the information seems corrupted. Where the version number should be, it states "ABOUT_BOX_FORMAT_STRING", where the processor label should be it states "ABOUT_BOX_PROCESSOR_LABEL" and so on. What's up with that?

Thanks! This is my first post in a forum which has been a huge help in my quest to have a working OSX install :censored2: .

Use a dsdt from the dsdt autopatcher.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523

Thanks for the reply!

That link looks fascinating, but I have no idea where to start with it. I'm already using a DSDT from the tonymacx86 database for my motherboard. If you wouldn't mind, could you just give me a quick 123 of what exactly I need to do without buggering up my system? :D

Thanks again!

The instructions are right on the top of the first post. DSDT Autopatcher provides a dsdt for the P7P55D series. On my P7P55D Deluxe it got rid of the audio stuttering problems.

The NULLCPUManagement kext got rid of the audio stuttering on my system as well but this is not the solution you would want. Your system should work without this kext and with a proper DSDT.

Just read Mald0n's post and try that DSDT file instead of the one from the tonymac site. Remove the dsdt file in /Extra. Reboot and run DSDT Autopatcher. Select your motherboard model and it will generate the dsdt file for your motherboard. Put that file in /Extra. Reboot and see if it made a difference. I can't guarantee your system won't bugger up but in my experience the DSDT from tonymac database buggered my system at boot whereas the one from DSDT Autopatcher worked.

That worked beautifully. Ten minutes, almost no work needed on my part, and my audio issues are gone, the computer is snappier and quicker booting, Youtube videos play smoothly (for the first time on my OSX), everything is fine. Except for the About My Mac infobox, which is still garbled, but to be honest, I hardly care.

Thanks, bubbaganoush for sorting me out in one fell swoop!