Upgrade?

8 posts in this topic

I currently have 10.5.8 running perfectly on my system, is there a simple way to upgrade to any version of 10.6.x? All the methods i've tried of installing 10.6 directly result in "Still waiting for root device"

Thanks for your feedback.

I currently have 10.5.8 running perfectly on my system, is there a simple way to upgrade to any version of 10.6.x? All the methods i've tried of installing 10.6 directly result in "Still waiting for root device"

Thanks for your feedback.

You can update (it depends much on hardware and installation method used) but before restart you should change files in Extra to SL version (as well as kernel if a patched version is used and update *.plist files). If there are any modified/custom kexts in /S/L/E change as well (unless compatible).

The safest way is to install SL from Leo to a separate HDD (USB or internal). Then upon successful boot up migrate files and settings from Leo install.

You can update (it depends much on hardware and installation method used) but before restart you should change files in Extra to SL version (as well as kernel if a patched version is used and update *.plist files). If there are any modified/custom kexts in /S/L/E change as well (unless compatible).

The safest way is to install SL from Leo to a separate HDD (USB or internal). Then upon successful boot up migrate files and settings from Leo install.

Thanks for the reply. Are there any guides out there that explain how to install SL from leo onto a sperate HDD? If not, would you mind explaining?

There are some. Search please.

Basically you need to insert install DVD (or mount DVD image) and run

sudo open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Path to DVD might be different in your case but the rest should be the same.

sudo - run as root user (administrator)

open - need comments?

OSInstall.mpkg - is the installation package you need to run in order to install

The rest is the same as installing from DVD. Select target disk, customize etc.

There are some. Search please.

Basically you need to insert install DVD (or mount DVD image) and run

sudo open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Path to DVD might be different in your case but the rest should be the same.

sudo - run as root user (administrator)

open - need comments?

OSInstall.mpkg - is the installation package you need to run in order to install

The rest is the same as installing from DVD. Select target disk, customize etc.

Sorry, I'm new to this whole thing, where can I find "OSInstall.mpkg"? I purchased a snow leopard 10.6.3 dvd, do I create it from there or is it on the disk?

You should think twice before doing this then...

OSInstall.mpkg is a package included in OS X installation DVD.

/Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

Is a path to the above package (assuming you run it from DVD). Where:

• /Volumes is a place where all DVD/disks/disk images are mounted in OS X
  • Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD - OS X treats a space like the and of sentence (like dot), those if there are some spaces in the name of a file, then a space should be preceded by "\"
  • System/Installation/Packages/ - is the place (directory) where OSInstall.mpkg is located

Usually system files are hidden on OS X so a user couldn't harm the system deleting some system files by accident. Those you can't normally launch the above package using Finder (as Finder will not display it). Therefore you should run it using Terminal application.

You should think twice before doing this then...

OSInstall.mpkg is a package included in OS X installation DVD.

/Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

Is a path to the above package (assuming you run it from DVD). Where:

• /Volumes is a place where all DVD/disks/disk images are mounted in OS X
  • Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD - OS X treats a space like the and of sentence (like dot), those if there are some spaces in the name of a file, then a space should be preceded by "\"
  • System/Installation/Packages/ - is the place (directory) where OSInstall.mpkg is located

Usually system files are hidden on OS X so a user couldn't harm the system deleting some system files by accident. Those you can't normally launch the above package using Finder (as Finder will not display it). Therefore you should run it using Terminal application.

Thanks for the explanation. Will this keep my kernel/kexts intact, or is there a procedure I need to follow to ensure that the system will still boot?

Thanks for the explanation. Will this keep my kernel/kexts intact, or is there a procedure I need to follow to ensure that the system will still boot?
If you are going to install to a separate drive, then yes, kernel/kexts of your current Leopard installation will be intact.

If you are going to upgrade your Leopard by installing SL on top of Leopard (those directly updating Leopard to SL), then obviously everything will be overwritten with new files. In this scenario you should perfectly know which files are needed and where these should be placed in order for the SL to boot and run.

I strongly recommend you to read few guides on the subject. There are many things that can go terribly wrong if not done properly.