Sound Problems (10.6.3, Inspiron 1420)

4 posts in this topic

I finally was able to install OSX on my laptop, thanks to some very helpful users on this forum. :) Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my sound working.

Some specs:

iATKOS S3 v2

Dell Inspiron 1420

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 GHz

3 GB RAM

nVidia GeForce 8400M GS

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:284b] (rev 02)

The best that I've been able to get working was with VoodooHDA, (2.6.1, I believe,) which gave me a working headphone jack and internal microphone, but no internal speakers. I've tried using newer versions of VoodooHDA, but any time I use the installers, I get stuck on a blue screen during boot. (If someone could show me how to manually install the latest version of VoodooHDA, I'll try that out.)

I've also tried AppleHDA (including a few "modified" versions from around the internet) and HDAEnabler, but to no avail. If I remember correctly, none of them even recognized my sound device. :/

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Honestly, I'd be fine if I could just get the internal speakers working, even if I had to give up headphones and the microphone. Thanks guys. -_-

edit dsdt replace from HDEF to AZAL .. then voodoohda works. i had same issue with my 1520 .. or u can move applehda.kext out of extensions folder. then reboot and retry voodohda.

btw u have to switch what output u want in the audio menu of apple prefs.

boot with -v -x at begining of chameleon logo.

by the way .. overheating the 8400m isnt a good idea.. they tend to desolder the chip. 8600m doesnt do it as much ..its separate from mainboard. can be replaced (slot)

8400m does not have slot.

(youtube reflow nvidia if it doesnt show video one day)

edit dsdt replace from HDEF to AZAL .. then voodoohda works. i had same issue with my 1520 .. or u can move applehda.kext out of extensions folder. then reboot and retry voodohda.

btw u have to switch what output u want in the audio menu of apple prefs.

Alright, I'll give it a try. One thing though... the DSDT is part of the BIOS, right? I have more than one OS on this laptop, so if I edit the DSDT, will that cause any problems elsewhere?

by the way .. overheating the 8400m isnt a good idea.. they tend to desolder the chip. 8600m doesnt do it as much ..its separate from mainboard. can be replaced (slot)

8400m does not have slot.

Yeah I know, I've already lost one video card due to heat. >.> Luckily it was still under warranty when it died, but it was still a hassle.

no dsdt is a file for chameleon bootloader to be the middleman from bios.. a copy of dsdt in a file. so no dsdt in mobo is untouched.

btw more problems happen when mbr and guid in same disk. :wacko: youll see eventually