LAN access but No Internet, is this a kext problem?

macjohn

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get snow leopard running on a Gateway NV5435U laptop. It has an Atheros AR5B93 wireless network adapter that was working on my first boot. I then applied some kexts for keyboard and mouse (was using external ones because my laptop's weren't being recognized) and it stopped working. Oddly, I can still access my lan and even log into my router and access files on other PC's.

I've followed the instructions on several posts here to alter the IO80211Family.kext to include some extra IONameMatches (pci168c,2b, etc) but nothing seems to change it. Network Diagnostics shows a green status for AirPort, Airport settings, Network settings, and ISP but 'internet' and 'server' show red.

Any suggestions appreciated... I have a feeling this is something very easy I'm just missing.

I'm trying to get snow leopard running on a Gateway NV5435U laptop. It has an Atheros AR5B93 wireless network adapter that was working on my first boot. I then applied some kexts for keyboard and mouse (was using external ones because my laptop's weren't being recognized) and it stopped working. Oddly, I can still access my lan and even log into my router and access files on other PC's.

I've followed the instructions on several posts here to alter the IO80211Family.kext to include some extra IONameMatches (pci168c,2b, etc) but nothing seems to change it. Network Diagnostics shows a green status for AirPort, Airport settings, Network settings, and ISP but 'internet' and 'server' show red.

Any suggestions appreciated... I have a feeling this is something very easy I'm just missing.

If you can access your router and other PC's then wireless is working. Go to the System Preferences -> Network -> Airport -> Advanced -> DNS and see whether there is anything showing. If not, enter your router IP or your ISP DNS IP or enter 8.8.8.8 for Google's DNS server.

If you can access your router and other PC's then wireless is working. Go to the System Preferences -> Network -> Airport -> Advanced -> DNS and see whether there is anything showing. If not, enter your router IP or your ISP DNS IP or enter 8.8.8.8 for Google's DNS server.

Thanks for the input, I tried several different options in the dns entry (blank, router, ISP's DNS's) and still only have lan access. To try something different, I configured my phone to broadcast as a mobile access point and connected to it but still no internet access. So it doesn't appeaer to be a setting on my router.

I can't get over the fact that installing the keyboard and mouse kexts seemed to coincide with the internet access being disabled. Anyone have any more insight? All ideas appreciated.

Thanks for the input, I tried several different options in the dns entry (blank, router, ISP's DNS's) and still only have lan access. To try something different, I configured my phone to broadcast as a mobile access point and connected to it but still no internet access. So it doesn't appeaer to be a setting on my router.

I can't get over the fact that installing the keyboard and mouse kexts seemed to coincide with the internet access being disabled. Anyone have any more insight? All ideas appreciated.

Is Airport set as the first item for connection in Network? If not, move it to the top. Click the little gear icon and then "Set Service Order". Drag the items around to your desired order with Airport being the first. Close out of that window and "Apply" the changes.

Is Airport set as the first item for connection in Network? If not, move it to the top. Click the little gear icon and then "Set Service Order". Drag the items around to your desired order with Airport being the first. Close out of that window and "Apply" the changes.

Sorry to take so long to reply but I keep getting an error accessing this page... anyway... I haven't gotten around to trying to install my network card yet so the only thing that is listed is the airport... so it's first.

I just tried deleting the kext, rebooting, readding the kext, rebooting and the same result. About the only thing I can think to do now is start over with a fresh install and see if that clears it up. As I said, I had internet access to begin with... something went wrong.

OK, I've now re-installed several times and there is a consistent pattern. When I have the keyboard and mouse working on the laptop (either by using the Apple PS2 system patch in setup or downloading the PS2 mouse and keyboard fixes from the kext website), I only have Lan access. When I'm using the external keyboard and mouse, I can browse the web (and even go to the website to download the kext fixes).

This seems to be related. I originally thought it was something silly with the network setup, but it all looks good.

Anyone have some hints they can share?

This problem has been solved, it seems to have been a problem others have experienced with Snow Leopard and AirPort and is unrelated to OSX86. I'm posting the solution here in case anyone has a similar problem in the future.

Resolving the problem came from deleting all the files in my Library/Preferences/System Configuration directory and rebooting. Once I set up my connection again, I had full internet access.