Wireless solutions

8 posts in this topic

I've got an Inspiron 8600 and everything is fortunately working well with it aside from the trackpad (which I cannot figure out how to fix with instructions in ffs thread) and my intel 2200 wireless card. For my wireless card, I'd like to switch it out and get another. My question is what is the best solution for this? I've heard that the Dell Truemobile 1450 is good, but how would I install it if I were to get it? Also, do any notebook adapters for wireless work well. Last, what is the most cost effective solution for wireless?

I hope this can help others as well as I see many here who seem to be unversed in OSX86 :P Thanks in advance for the help.

I've got an Inspiron 8600 and everything is fortunately working well with it aside from the trackpad (which I cannot figure out how to fix with instructions in ffs thread) and my intel 2200 wireless card. For my wireless card, I'd like to switch it out and get another. My question is what is the best solution for this? I've heard that the Dell Truemobile 1450 is good, but how would I install it if I were to get it? Also, do any notebook adapters for wireless work well. Last, what is the most cost effective solution for wireless?

I hope this can help others as well as I see many here who seem to be unversed in OSX86 :P Thanks in advance for the help.

dell truemobile 1450 works because the real airport extreme card used in powerbooks (not macbook pro's built-in airport extreme) shares the same chipset (broadcom airforce). the only thing that wont work is the airport's wlt1 driver for monitor/passive mode - i still am trying to find out why. if you just want a wireless connection, then what i just mentioned shouldn't be an issue at all. in fact, it will have wireless connection capability as soon as you replace the 2200bg with the truemobile 1450.

one thing i think a lot of people get frustrated with is when they first boot osx86. it's not going to be like windows where it'll say new hardware found or wireless connection found. simply find the wireless airport icon on the top right and click on it. it will say airport on/off. if it says off, turn it on. if it says on, then choose the desired connection you want. i've only tried wep encryption since my network has been wep for the longest time and i have over 10 devices connected via wep. i'm sure other encryptions work fine right out of the box as well.

and to keep you rest assured, i installed this minipci card just two days ago and it's been working fine. i am now figuring out hwo to get the wlt1 driver working for monitoring mode. APPLE'S airport driver do not work with this card, only the "patched" driver (mines came from JaS 10.4.6)

Thanks for the clarification. Now I guess I'm wondering: what exactly does monitor/passive mode entail? I would like to know what exactly this limitation is that I am missing out on before I buy the card. Also, what Atheros based alternatives are there that would give me the desired results, maybe even full support as opposed to those from the Truemobile?

Thanks for the clarification. Now I guess I'm wondering: what exactly does monitor/passive mode entail? I would like to know what exactly this limitation is that I am missing out on before I buy the card. Also, what Atheros based alternatives are there that would give me the desired results, maybe even full support as opposed to those from the Truemobile?

this is as streamlined as it'll get as far as wireless devices for osx86 are concerned.

as for the wlt1 airport driver which apple supplies is for applications to read raw IP frames

one predominant application that really stands out is Kismac. it is the ultimate wireless application for MacOS. what passive mode (or monitoring mode) means is that you can monitor wireless connections regardless of who's AP (Access Point) you are connecting to. its main purpose is to test your AP's encryption to see if anyone will decrypt your password to your network, which in turns means decrypting other people's networks as well. why i bring this up is because people lack information regarding wireless connections.

http://kismac.de

i lied. the card actually works with kismac under passive mode. however injection is not supported so capuring enough data packets will take forever. i'm not sure why the wlt1 driver isn't implemented but it is pretty crucial for real airport/airport extreme cards to have.

Now, I don't think the method may be the problem. The Truemobile is not detected for some reason. In my BIOS, it says the MiniPCI is disabled. What could I have done wrong in installing it? I took it out and installed my 2200 back in to see if I just wasn't doing it right, but it worked. If it is defective, is there any way I could tell definitively?