10.6.4 update to 10.6.7 -> panic

4 posts in this topic

After looking over a number of sources which said the main issue going from 10.6.4 to 10.6.7 is the sleepEnabler (setting to pmVersion=21), I decided to try updating today. However, after updating, it panics.

It's a "kernel trap" panic, and happens whether I boot with "-x" or not. The interesting bit is the "Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):", which has

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(1.3.5)

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.3.0)

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)

..in it. just before the panic was:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

I assume I'm either missing some kext, or I need to remove something that I have installed. Anyone have any clues for me?

The system in question is an Intel DG33FB motherboard, with core 2 quad processor, 8GB RAM, with Chameleon 2.0RC5 - most things were working pretty well under 10.6.4.

Suggestions gratefully received.

i am no expert but i have ruined my system so may times (trust me)

The only thing that definately gets me back into the system after i have 'destroyed' it is

nawcoms boot cd with -x

this always gets me back in then i can play around with my kexts and fixing permissions till i get to a clean boot.

Surprisingly enough fixing disk permissions using kext utility after a update 50/50 does the trick for me.

Also unplugging my pc then plugging it back in rather than switch seems to work sometimes too?????

Good luck