DHCP works but no network

killie99

2 posts in this topic

just 'done' my first hackingtosh - Dell Vostro 200 with an intel 82544 network card. Managed to get OS X to load (retail 10.6 10A432) and everything appears to be ok except the network (I have DHCP enabled). I consider myself to be pretty PC savvy but I have NEVER used a mac.

In System Properties/network I see the following:

IP address 192.168.1.30

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Router 192.168.1.1

DNS 208.67.222.222

In 'network utility' I have:

ethernet adapter (en0) (en0)

add: 00:02:b3:c2:xx:xx (obviously there aren't x's, didn't want to show my full mac)

IP add: 192.168.1.30

link sp : 1 GBit/s

Link Stat : Active

Vendor : Intel

Model : 82544GC

Trying to use Safari I get a 'not connected to the internet' message

Using the ping utility, if I try to ping my router at 192.168.1.1 i get 'Request timeout for icmp_seq' errors.

I know for certain the network card is ok because I just pulled it out of one of my other systems (PC) and I know my router is working because all my other systems are working fine. I wasn't sure if this card would work with OS X but the fact that it appears to see the card ok and DHCP manages to get an IP address I kinda assumed it must be ok - or is that my first mistake by assuming that because it can see it doesn't mean it will work?