Installing Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Dell XPS 17 L701X

blankerkid

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am unable to get Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 to install on my new laptop. I've got some experience with installing Mac OS, I got it working pretty perfect on my old laptop but I understand it won't be the same for every laptop.

Specs:

Intel i5 2.53GHz

4GB DDR3 RAM

Nvidia GeForce GT 435m

Intel HD Graphics

2 x 250GB SATA Hard Drive's

DVD RW +/-

Intel WiFi Link 1000 B/G/N

Realtek HD Audio

I have the iAtkos 10.5.7 Leopard Disc and the iAtkos 10.6.3 disc. When I attempt to get to the installation screen with these disc's it just restarts before it gets to the screen.

I've tried -v, -x to try and find an error message but I haven't seen anything that I can figure out.

ebios read error device timeout, is the only error i've seen.

Any tips / flag suggestions would help alot.

• 2 weeks later...

It will be unlikely that you'll be able to fully install this combination as the CPU has built-in HD graphics and an NVIDIA Optimus chip the combination of which is currently not usable in a non-Apple machine. You will be able to get a maximum display of 1024x768x32 - if you can live with this, someday it may be possible to get better than this. To have any chance at all, you must remove the Intel HD Graphics KEXT before rebooting after install. I had a similar machine and using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (TONYMAC) was able to install and get to 10.6.6.

You will have difficulty doing the update to 10.6.6 especially if you do it after rebooting as the HD Graphics kext will come back during the install. The machine will freeze at the end of an incomplete update as it will access that KEXT and attempt to use it; you must watch for it and delete it during the update.

However, what you end up with is not very useable, in my opinion.