Understanding Why a DVD will boot and install then Hard drive will not

3 posts in this topic

I am trying to understand why I can boot up a DVD of Hazard SL 10.6.2 and format the Hard drive and perform a successful installation. (Once I do reboot) I remove the DVD and then select the Drive I want to boot up from (Using F8). I then type in any of the following (-v -f maxmem=2048 -x platform=ACPI) It will show all the errors and then finally Kernel Panic with a CPU=1.

I do get somewhat the same results with Leopard 10.5.2 Kalyway.

Do I need to boot up the DVD, go to the terminal, and copy all the KEXTS within the Extensions.mkext? That is all I can think of.

System per HP:

Microprocessor2.00 GHz AMD Turion X2 TL-60 Dual-Core Mobile ProcessorMicroprocessor Cache512 Microprocessor2.00 GHz AMD Turion X2 TL-60 Dual-Core Mobile ProcessorMicroprocessor Cache512 Microprocessor 2.00 GHz AMD Turion X2 TL-60 Dual-Core Mobile Processor

Microprocessor Cache 512 KB + 512 KB L2 Cache

Memory 4096 MB

Memory Max Up to 4GB DDR2

Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7150M

Video Memory Up to 1071 MB

Hard Drive 250 GB (5400 rpm)

Multimedia Drive LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Display 17.0" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1440 x 900) Display

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n

I am trying to understand why I can boot up a DVD of Hazard SL 10.6.2 and format the Hard drive and perform a successful installation. (Once I do reboot) I remove the DVD and then select the Drive I want to boot up from (Using F8). I then type in any of the following (-v -f maxmem=2048 -x platform=ACPI) It will show all the errors and then finally Kernel Panic with a CPU=1.

I do get somewhat the same results with Leopard 10.5.2 Kalyway.

Do I need to boot up the DVD, go to the terminal, and copy all the KEXTS within the Extensions.mkext? That is all I can think of.

System per HP:

Microprocessor2.00 GHz AMD Turion X2 TL-60 Dual-Core Mobile ProcessorMicroprocessor Cache512 Microprocessor2.00 GHz AMD Turion X2 TL-60 Dual-Core Mobile ProcessorMicroprocessor Cache512 Microprocessor 2.00 GHz AMD Turion X2 TL-60 Dual-Core Mobile Processor

Microprocessor Cache 512 KB + 512 KB L2 Cache

Memory 4096 MB

Memory Max Up to 4GB DDR2

Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7150M

Video Memory Up to 1071 MB

Hard Drive 250 GB (5400 rpm)

Multimedia Drive LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Display 17.0" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1440 x 900) Display

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n

You should actually provide more details on what custom kernel and kexts you included, this way we're half blind on the 1st eye and can't see a thing on the second one :unsure: You need to select a kernel that supports AMD CPU, appropriate kexts/drivers for the rest of the devices (shouldn't be to hard, they have pretty nice description when you click on them in the installer).

Try to work out what you did wrong, shouldn't take more than few tries imho. Alsoyou didn't write which chipset is on the mainboard, that's also an important thing to know, as your selection of SATA/IDE controller kext will depend on that and if you do it wrong you should get missing root device error.

Try again and play with some settings, shouldn't be to hard to get it right.

Oh and if it's a brand name pc/laptop write exact model, that will also help to suggest you correct choices.

You should actually provide more details on what custom kernel and kexts you included, this way we're half blind on the 1st eye and can't see a thing on the second one :unsure: You need to select a kernel that supports AMD CPU, appropriate kexts/drivers for the rest of the devices (shouldn't be to hard, they have pretty nice description when you click on them in the installer).

Try to work out what you did wrong, shouldn't take more than few tries imho. Alsoyou didn't write which chipset is on the mainboard, that's also an important thing to know, as your selection of SATA/IDE controller kext will depend on that and if you do it wrong you should get missing root device error.

Try again and play with some settings, shouldn't be to hard to get it right.

Oh and if it's a brand name pc/laptop write exact model, that will also help to suggest you correct choices.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am curious to know when I place the install DVD and boot up into the installation. All, the Kexts / drivers that installed in the ROM, seem to work great or ok with the HP System DV9925nr. I could see the hard drive, I could connect to a WIFI network. I could get into terminal without a problem. Everything seemed to be ok from the DVD boot up side of things.

Is there away to get a log file of the DVD boot up (So i can see what Kexts are loaded during that part of the boot)? Then I could compare that to the installation custumizations that I can instal on the Hard Drive HD?

Let me knw if you need more info! I will do my best.!