Mac Pro and ATI X1900

DavidTX

3 posts in this topic

After spending a lot of time with my Hackintosh and really enjoying it, I took the plunge and bought a real Mac Pro over the weekend. Since the lead time on the ATI graphics cards is four weeks, I just bought the base model with the 7300GT. It's very slow in WoW, however, so I'm a little underwhelmed. So my question: does anyone think that the ATI drivers that are used on the JaS et. al. builds would work with a Mac Pro and an off-the-shelf ATI X1900XT? I understand that it probably won't work during the bootstrap, but what about when the proper kexts are loaded?

I'm not sure if anyone has tried something like that. It could be that the EFI on the Mac demands an EFI-supportive driver for the card. Then again, it could work perfectly, but the only way to find out is to try it. Do you think they'll accept a return of an x1900XT in a couple of days if it doesn't work?

It might be worth a try. But it would almost surely fail, since an off the shelf ATI card is going to have a VESA BIOS, it needs to be initialized by BIOS. Without an initialization, it wont work. Another concern might be the fact that EFI, not detecting a compatible video card, will refuse to boot the OS, or halt altogether.

My opinion: 99.9999% likely you wont get any video signal.