[GUIDE] ECS Elitegroup GeForce6100PM-M2 (v3.0)

Mac Boy

1 post in this topic

My System

MB: ECS Elitegroup GeForce6100PM-M2 (v3.0)

HD: SAMSUNG HD103SJ (Sata)

VID: Zotac GeForce 8400GS

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9150e Quad-Core Processor (Agena)

DVD: Sony DDU1622 (Pata)

BIOS Settings

Disable Legacy USB Support in your BIOS! This is the first thing you should do becuase it elimiantes the "unable to initialize UIM" error. You will now lose the ability to boot from USB devices via F11, but they will work just fine once you are booted. You can re-enable this option if you use Chameleon RC5 (r699) along with the USBLegacyOff=Yes option.

Disk Settings

Booting or installing with both a SATA HD and SATA DVD will lead to the famous "still waiting for root device" error. The solution is to use one of the following three combinations:

+-------+----------+----------+----------+
|       |    #1    |    #2    |    #3    |
|Master	| PATA DVD | PATA DVD | PATA HD  |
|Slave	| PATA HD  |          |          |
|Sata0	|          | SATA HD  |	SATA DVD |

You also need to use an Ultra DMA Cable. The black end connector is master, the grey middle is slave, and the blue goes to the motherboard. Even with one of these options, you may still get a "still waiting for root device" error just after installing. If this happens, don't worry, just use rd=disk0sX for the first time, or you can simply remove the DVD just before Chameleon starts.

iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8

This distro works extremely well with this setup. The CPU is recognized and all 4 cores are working. I only had to install one nForceLAN kext, and one fix to remove the boot delay.

iATKOS S3 V2 10.6.3

This also works perfectly, as long as you use cpus=1. Having only one core is the only drawback if you want Snow. There are some workarounds to getting all 4 cores working, but they are not stable. I'd be interested to know of any solutions.