Another Dual boot question

dturano547

4 posts in this topic

I got osx86 installed and running propery. Now Im installing windows on a seperate partion. Once I install xp i know it will set osx inactive and the normal boot will go right into windows. Which dual boot do you reccomend?

I have Partition Magic, Paragon, and could get some more. Everytime I have tried to setup the dual boot in the past my compter needs a rescue disk to start up. Anybody have an instruction link they could refer me to on how to succesfully get the dual boo t to work properly.

Thank you

i had the same problems before... making dual-boot xp and osx x86 using chain0 and the xp bootloader.

what happens is that when the xp partition is the active partition, when i go to xp boot menu and choose osx from there, it just goes back to the same xp boot menu.

when i try to make the osx partition the active partition, it boots directly into darwin bootloader and loads osx. however, from there, when i choose windows, my windows installation prompts for a corrupted autochk file, and goes to a BSOD. even as i try to make winxp the active partition, the same happens. from that point, i reinstalled XP.

to cut the long story short... i realized, by reading thru some forums is that Darwin bootloader (chain0) defaults into silently and automatically choosing the active bootsector which is in the original case, the winxp partition. that's the reason that when when i choose osx from the XP boot menu, XP is still the one loading.

a workaround to the problem is by quickly tapping 'F8' after choosing the OSX from the bootmenu and from there, the Darwin boot menu loads!

now, what i am confused at, is why do some setups don't require this method when booting to OSX via XP boot menu? i did various partitioning setups ranging from...

1st part, DOS FAT32 (Primary/Active)

2nd part, OSX HFS+ (Primary)

3rd part, XP NTFS (Primary)

---

1st part, OSX HFS+ (Primary)

2nd part, XP NTFS (Primary/Active)

---

1st part, XP NTFS (Primary/Active)

2nd part, OSX HFS+ (Primary)

all of them working properly with booting Darwin w/o the F8 sequence for the 1st time, and after a reformat of the OSX partition (via OSX installer), it goes kaput and forces me to use F8 key.