OSX 10.4.4 won't boot after install

Jammal King

8 posts in this topic

Hello.

I was a previous user of OSX86 10.4.1, which has started to suck more and more... cuz i wasn't able to install apps that were native.

I got the 10.4.4 JaS image and burned it to a dvd, then installed it.

It took ~10 min to start the installer, but it went ok.

This is the tricky part. While using 10.4.1 i messed it up a little, and to boot it, i had to insert the install DVD and specify the kernel partition manualy. It worked.

After finishing to install 10.4.4 i had my XP cd ready, but noticed that i didn't loose my XP MBR, and that XP-s bootloader was stil on my HDD.

So, i tried to boot it how i booted 10.4.1 , but this time it didn't work.

I get the " Please restart yout computer" message.

Why do i get it, what went wrong ? I mean, my computer is compatible, i checked, and even if it wasn't then it shoudn't have let me to install 10.4.4 in the first place.

What can i do ?

Hardware

Intel Celeron D @ 2.80 Ghz (with SSE3)

1 GB DDR on an ASROCK P4Dual 915GL

Intel GMA 900 Graphics

80 GB IDE Hdd - win xp, linux and osx / 2x200 GB S-ATA2 for data and video editing

I get the " Please restart yout computer" message.

Why do i get it, what went wrong ? I mean, my computer is compatible, i checked, and even if it wasn't then it shoudn't have let me to install 10.4.4 in the first place.

You are giving the installer way too much credit. These are hacked Apple installers that are originally designed for a certain set of hardware. They are being hacked to work with a wide range of hardware not originally intended. There are no checks for "compatible" hardware - in fact, those checks have to be deleted or none of us would be able to install on non-Apple hardware.

During the install, right before you clicked the "Install" button, you first should click the "Customize" button (to the left of the Install button) and choose packages for your computer. Click the little arrow to the left of the categories to reveal the individual packages. Install only Intel and SSE3 packages, not AMD or SSE2.

I ment that i checked the osx86 wiki for "compatibility", and that if it was "compatible" to install, why wasn't it able to boot.

I don't know by heart that i checked that button, but i'll install it again tomorow more carefuly and see what happends.

Thx

• 2 weeks later...

i have found out why this happends.

The installer doesn't copy the correct mach_kernel to my system. That's why the installer boots and the system not. (it doesn't have the patches tab on install)

So i have searched a way to copy the mach_kernel from the installer to my partition. But i haven't been succesful in doing this.

Anyway, here's how it's suposed to be done :

from http://www.nedprod.com/Niall_stuff/MacOS%20X/index.html

When you reach the installer, choose Utilities=>Terminal. Now type 'cp /mach_kernel /Volumes/Apple\ MacOS\ X/' which copies an AMD and SSE2 patched kernel (the one the installer booted from) over the one on your main system. Reboot.

My volume name is Mac System, so for me this would be :

cp /mach_kernel /Volumes/Mac System

but it doesn't work. can somebody tell me what i got wrong here ?

Your OSX partition name has a space in it. You must put it in quotes so the command knows the space is part of the name and not a separator for another parameter of the command

cp /mach_kernel "/Volumes/Mac System"