Carbon Copy Cloned Drive

jbolted

6 posts in this topic

I reformatted the drive I was going to use for windows, to GUID partition same as the one I'm on, and I did a Carbon Copy Clone of the drive to the source drive. The only thing it don't copy over is the boot partition. So I'm guessing if an update goes bad on this drive, I should be able to hit a key during chameleon booting and boot off of the cloned drive? Yes or No?

This topic was moved from a previous section. If this is the wrong place, please let me know. I'm trying to keep topics where they belong this is a huge forum & I'm trying to be respectful of that fact.

Correct. Personally I install chameleon to the cloned drive, that way you have a bootable backup if something happens to the bootloader on your other drive.

I would love to get a heads up on how to do that. I get messed up because both my drives are identical and have the exact same numbers to them.WD5000AAKS-00V10, but your right that would make better sense.

I am not sure if you mean heads up on how to install chameleon ( installer packages for 2RC4 and 2RC5 further down in my guide) OR how to differentiate between the two drives in boot position in bios or when using boot drive pick key at start up. Would assume that unless the boot order has been changed the drive in the lowest numbered sata slot would be highest in the boot order. If you have different versions of chameleon on each drive you should see that at startup, or use different themes for each.

I am not sure if you mean heads up on how to install chameleon ( installer packages for 2RC4 and 2RC5 further down in my guide) OR how to differentiate between the two drives in boot position in bios or when using boot drive pick key at start up. Would assume that unless the boot order has been changed the drive in the lowest numbered sata slot would be highest in the boot order. If you have different versions of chameleon on each drive you should see that at startup, or use different themes for each.

No... what I mean is that you cant have Chameleon installed on both drives. So I would love to know how to get it installed to my backup clone, & remove it from my working drive. Because like you said, if something mucks up on an update on the working drive, I will still be able to boot into the clone. then just restore from the source to a reformatted working drive. Because once I install an apple update, there seems to be no way to get back to the previous working version aside form a reformat.

You can have Chameleon on each separate drive, but not on different partitions of the same drive.

For example I have 2RC5 on my 160 GB drive & 2RC3 on my 80 GB drive. I just pick which drive to boot from at start.

post-530376-1302203640_thumb.png