Disk Utility freezes during install

2 posts in this topic

Hello all,

This is my first time attempting to run OSX on non-apple hardware and I've been able to troubleshoot things so far but now I'm at a wall.

Using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], I can boot from the OSX install DVD and get into Disk Utility which is where one of three things will happen:

On rare occasions, DU will freeze (beach ball) while loading the disk contents/partitions.

Most often, the hard drive is listed on in the menu on the left and I try to format a 250GB partition with GUID. (The drive is 2TB and I read that chameleon won't boot to a 1TB+ partition). When I click apply, DU gets stuck on "unmounting disk". Once it passed that stage and froze at "creating partition map".

I tried using GPartEd to get the partition ready beforehand. I created an HFS+ partition and left the rest as unused space. When loading the installer, I was unable to use the partition because journaling wasn't enabled. I tried to turn journaling on from DU but it gave me a beach ball as soon as I clicked "enable journaling".

Any ideas as to what I can try next?