10.6.7 boot with cpus=1 or input devices (mouse, keyboard) freeze

Euzeb

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've recently installed OSX 10.6 retail on my system, and then updated to 10.6.7 without too much of a hassle. My system is working perfectly fine (4 cores running, GPU with dual-DVI working, onboard LAN + Wi-Fi working, etc.)

However, I've been having two different freezes issues. The first one, where my system would become unresponsive under heavy trafic load (though I could still move my mouse) was related to nForce LAN and I was able to fix it by using the nForceLAN.kext driver 0.64.2 found on these forums.

The other freeze issue that I'm having occurs when I'm doing work that involves my GPU (video editing, or just watching a movie), often after less than 2 minutes. My mouse and keyboard will suddenly stop responding, and my 4 CPU cores will become idle. iStat monitors will still update themselves, and the clock still works, but I'm unable to do anything on my computer. Caps-lock/Num-lock become unresponsive as well. Unplugging-replugging my input devices won't help any. I've got no choice but to reboot.

When I look at system.log, I see no recurring error whenever one of these freezes occur. When I boot using the cpus=1 flag, the freeze doesn't occur.

I'm seeking help to understand what could be causing those freezes. I'm running the following kexts in /Extra/Extensions :

AHCIPortInjector.kext ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext IOATAFamily.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

AtherosWiFiInjector.kext fakesmc.kext

BroadcomWiFiInjector.kext

Here's what in my boot.plist (minus string for GPU)

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>

Thanks for your help.

Now this is where it gets strange...

Yesterday I was working on my laptop. I connected to my hackint0sh using Teamviewer. At some point I saw a message saying that a drive had not been ejected correctly (which, I'm sure, referred to my thumb drive). I went downstairs to see that my hackint0sh had frozen like I described above. However, I was STILL able to control my computer using Teamviewer. Reconnecting the thumb drive did not remount it. And as soon as I disconnected from my Teamviewer session, I was unable to reconnect.

• 3 weeks later...