Complete Audio Studio Hackintosh Build

11 posts in this topic

Hello, I am starting this thread to discuss some options for bulding a desktop for use in my audio studio. I have already put mac os on an old laptop, and I currently own a macbook pro. Nevertheless I need your help.

So, I need a desktop with fully compatible hardware, running an unpatched (or close) snow leopard installation. I plan on spending the smallest amount of money possible (so this can be used by others for building a fully functional hackintosh dirt cheap). I already have some components, I only need to choose a motherboard, processor and ram

As I need it for audio processing, I can start with integrated graphics (upgrading it with a proper card later), and I will be using my own usb professional audio interface and midi controllers etc (that has full support for mac os). I plan on building it for 150€ tops! This is the challenge: getting the most processing power and ram for this amount of money. Let the game begin ;)

This is the hardware I plan on using (to be updated)

- Motherboard - Gigabyte G31M-ES2L 38,90€

- Processor - Intel Pentium E5700 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80571E5700 69€

- Ram - VERITECH 2GB DDR2-800 PC2-6400 2X 24€ each (is this any good?)

I know this motherboard only supports 4gb ram, and old processors, anyone knows a better model to start? full compatibility and integrated graphics are required.

First off, if you're planning to use Logic Studio, then QE/CI is required- IE: you'd be in for a rude shock trying to use the onboard. Onboard graphics suck so bad anyway that I wouldn't bother- beyond the problem with Logic, the system will be practically unusable as there will likely be horrible redraw issues, unreadable menus in many apps, and artifacts. Just bite the bullet for a cheap supported nVidia graphic card.

As for a board rec, personally I'd go with a Gigabyte P55/ i5 system rather than the old Core2/775.

As for the exact hardware- unfortunately this forum seems to be dead and not much use anymore.

Try the OSx86 Project HCL (see sig), and also http://www.tonymacx86.com

Also I recommend checking out the cakewalk FAQ: http://www.kakewalk.se/?page_id=247

Boards listed there should work great using Kakewalk 3.0 to set them up.

Only working integrated graphics for desktop are the GMA945 and the ION platform GPU (NV9400 I belive)

You need to buy a cheap NVidia PCI-E card; a 8400 can do fine.

In terms of motherboard I would go for something better: intel P45 chipset, or P35 chipset if you are on the budget. Those chipsets would support the lastest 775 socket CPU (quad/dual cores). I have an ASUS P5K-VM (G33 chipset) and is working very, very good

If I would build a new rig from scratch, I would go for a i5/i7 cpu and P55 board...

First off, if you're planning to use Logic Studio, then QE/CI is required- IE: you'd be in for a rude shock trying to use the onboard.

I'm also trying to build a hackintosh for audio mixing/recording, but what did you mean by QE/CI is required? Can you elaborate on that?

I'm also trying to build a hackintosh for audio mixing/recording, but what did you mean by QE/CI is required? Can you elaborate on that?

Quartz extreme and Core Image. Don't worry about it, it means you should have a working graphics card, nothing too fancy, unless you are doing video editing on logic.

What are the specs on your build?

It's not something not to worry about. It means your graphic card needs to support Quartz Extreme/Core Image- therefore it must have full drivers. Onboard graphics generally don't. You also need to pay attention with any specific graphics card how to enable QE/CI on the card- IE: GraphicsEnabler or various injectors.

Logic for example, even though it's an audio program requires QE/CI rendering for its GUI. (As do all Apple Pro apps). So if you try to install it in a system without proper graphic drivers (IE: no QE or CI) , you'll get an error message saying your system doesn't meet the min requirements and be unable to proceed.

So basically, if you want an actual functioning system for all apps you may use, don't cheap out with the graphics. (Not to mention the problems I mentioned above with general graphic glitches. Picture using a Windows computer in Safe Mode all the time and that's pretty much a similar experience.)

No

QE/CI enabled is a must have in OSX, not only for pro applications but also to be able to run its full featured GUI.

Yeah, I know. A few years back I fought against an ATI x700. But I won.

I asked because there are macbooks on sandy bridge using the intel HD. So it is possible it will work on very short period right?

I asked because there are macbooks on sandy bridge using the intel HD. So it is possible it will work on very short period right?

AFAIK you could be waiting between two weeks and 5 years...

Have a look at the forum´s graphic section

• 4 weeks later...

woohoo, glad i found this thread, cos i have a similar need. so hope you dont mind me hijacking this thread.

I also want a music rig, but no where near the price of the current mac pro.

i think my budget would realistically be £1000. I want to use audio samples with my midi synthesizers. i have a Alesis IO10 which is supported by mac, its firewire so i have a pci card one... might need a super fast hard drive so there is little or no latency. i don't think i can afford an SSD yet.

does anyone have any hardware suggestions please & thanks