Updating 10.6 to 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 on a Dell Latitude E5400

6 posts in this topic

I've been able to install Snow Leopard 10.6.0 using the Mac OSX Snow Leopard Universal 10.6(432) GM v3.5 distro by dan1234, but I always end up getting kernel panics when I restart after an update to 10.6.6 and the more recent 10.6.7, so I end up reinstalling; I've tried using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] after the update and before the restart to repair the permissions and such but that doesn't help. I've also tried using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and a regular Snow Leopard disk, but I don't think my dvd drive can read it (I had to burn in on a single side dual layer dvd). Again my computer is the Dell Latitude E5400, it has an Intel core 2 duo, 2GB RAM, a dvd drive, idk the motherboard, intel ethernet, broadcom wifi, if there's any distro that you guys think would work I'm willing to try. Also, I'm a newbie to the Hackint0sh world, so I haven't figured how to replace a bad kext, how to interpret a panic screen etc... so bear with me if I need to ask how to do something. If there's any more info about my system you need just ask and I'll get it for you.

p.s. the uploaded pic is of the kernel panic after the update to 10.6.7 with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] using the distro mentioned above as the 10.6.0 base.

post-764167-1301015218_thumb.jpg

It's all about trial and error, it might take days to even weeks to get it working. Upgrading is less reliable with disttos, so installing a retail copy of mac os x is the way forward. I'm not going to guide you through this process, as they're thousand of threads in the tutorial section which can help you. I wouldn't recommend running a hackintosh, unless you are ready to reinstall, reinstall and reinstall.

Have you tried googling a guide for your specific machine? Since it's a prebuilt laptop, they're higher chances, someone else might have written a guide or given tips off they're own experience?

I've searched for my particular model, but I haven't seen any, I did see a guide for Dell Latitude E6100 (I think that's the model), and they used a iatkos distro so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm very familiar with having to reinstall, I'm working up to my 12th reinstall this time around, but computers are a hobby for me, and I'm pretty patient with these things. If it doesn't work this time around I'll just try with the retail disk again (the bios had a boot issue where it wouldn't display the dvd drive as a boot option, but I fixed it). I had gotten version 10.6.0 working on my dell (minus internet), so if I can't upgrade after all of this then I'll just get previous versions of some of my programs. And I may just end up moving on to my Acer [Aspire 5570Z] just for the fun of trying again :) .

Well, the iATKOS s3 ver.2 dvd (snow leopard 10.6.3) worked perfectly, it found my wireless network instantly, so that made me happy. But... I forgot to delete certain kexts after updating and before restarting, so I got a kernel panic (the read me actually tells you which ones cause panics upon update, so stupid me). For some reason after three reinstall tries they all fail with a "restart your computer" message box, but without the kernel panic data. I thought it might be because I deselected the kexts which cause a panic upon update, and they may be required for the installation... dunno, trying it now with them selected. Oh and I do erase the partition after each failed install, just fyi.

Ok, I got it updated to 10.6.7, but now my built in touchpad doesn't work, neither do any usb ports, and so no usb mice. My keyboard works, but since I can't use any of my usb drives I won't have my usb-kext to reinstall. I'm going to try using the terminal from the install disk to copy it over.