10.5.6->10.5.8 Combo Update is Refused after Checking Apple Software Update

OuahabiX

6 posts in this topic

I'm really stuck here, and it's been days now!

I've stabilized on Ubuntu for years, but my Bro wants to have the OSX on his PC for some Color-Grading tools and whatnot, and I'm back here.

Anyway, I've used the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD because I had it for some time, and the CPU is a simple old EM64T enabled, then upgraded to 10.5.6 directly, applied the PS2 fix to restore the functionality of my Mouse/Keyboard, went on using the VaN XNU Kernel 9.8.0 (Voodoo), and thanks GOD, everything's working as it should, Sound, Ethernet, WiFi...etc

I was having some Kernel Panics when I was trying to mount DMGs, so I restored the Seatbelt from the 10.5.5, and to now it looks fine, I installed EFI/Chameleon/BootThink/fdisked it...etc, and messed them up a lot without knowing what I was doing, I fixed it by resetting the MBR to Windows and Chain0, which shows now Chameleon properly.

When I tried the Combo Update the first time 10.5.8, I was able to install it, but I didn't because it was almost Dawn and I had University in the morning, so I gotta sleep a little bit, unfortunately I've tried Apple Software Update just out of curiosity, and it gave me the ability to upgrade to 10.5.8, and since I wasn't sure if it'll mess my installation or not, or if it'll install a Vanilla Kernel or not and I'm not sure if my CPU support it or not, I let it go.

The issue now, is that whenever I try to upgrade through the Combo, it tells me this:

You cannot install Mac OS X Update Combined on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update.

I've mentioned all of what I've done before, in case I've messed up something and I don't know, Oh! I've Installed 2 Kexts too, a new dsmos.kext, and a Disabler.kext, I'm not sure if the actual Kernel has an integrated one.

As far as I looked on the net, it says that when the System has files from different versions, such problem would occur, but why before it didn't do it until I checked Apple's Updates?

When I open the Software Update now, it gives me the iLife support update only, the 10.5.8 has vanished, so I guess I have to initialize something or remove some files, which I don't know which ones, and I hope that someone would help please, I know this is the best place to seek help for the PC-OSX guys, and it has the best guys for the mission on Planet Earth, I've tried it before and I know I can blind follow the instructions from here.

Help please help, Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

P.S:

I've tried to repair the Permissions, but it changed nothing!

Just a side note, I've found that QE is disabled now, 'twas working on the 10.5.1, I've tried Natit/NVinject withno success, this PC is equipped with an nVidia 7200GS 256MB, any idea?

Fixed through :

9f23installer +EFIStudio

_________

For the previous problem, I think that I haven't installed any System.kext when I upgraded my Kernel, coz I didn't know what it does and I didn't want to bet on my chances, so is it a Must to install the one came with the Kernel 9.8.0 in order to restore things back as they were, since I know for sure it was working even without an Installed System.kext the first time?

Guys, there must be a solution, people are using the OSX for years now, they must have gone through similar issues, if and only if I can get it to 10.5.8 to make these Software work, it'll be enough, I don't know if EFI did something or messed up some config files, but I know that it can be reversible by something I haven't found what it is.

If it was a Linux box, I would have beaten the heck out of it, but this OSX is totally different, I'm getting to like it though; however, its frustrations are far worse than Linux's.

OK, I've fixed it now, and it's fine, but when I launch the Combo Update I got "Installation Failed" when it reaches the 90%, I've tried to re-download the Update again, and I've got the same Error!!!

Anybody got an idea what's going on?

Fixed everything :( I'm now on 10.5.8!

Thanks GOD for that, really weird nobody cared to post so far!!!

Mmmmmmm! I'm thinking about Upgrading now to SL, I guess the human nature, I've got the iATKos S3 V2, but it kept shutting down after it shows the Glossy Gray Apple, so I couldn't get into the Installation GUI to mess with Kernels a little bit, when I tried -v, it shows something very quick and went on the Shut-Down process immediately, I didn't get the chance to read what was that.

I'm using somehow an old CPU, an EM64T, so any ideas?

• 4 months later...
Fixed everything :rolleyes: I'm now on 10.5.8!

Thanks GOD for that, really weird nobody cared to post so far!!!

Mmmmmmm! I'm thinking about Upgrading now to SL, I guess the human nature, I've got the iATKos S3 V2, but it kept shutting down after it shows the Glossy Gray Apple, so I couldn't get into the Installation GUI to mess with Kernels a little bit, when I tried -v, it shows something very quick and went on the Shut-Down process immediately, I didn't get the chance to read what was that.

I'm using somehow an old CPU, an EM64T, so any ideas?

Can u teach me how did you upgrade to 10.5.8? I'm in the process of upgrading but still no luck of changing my system to 10.5.8.

My laptop specs:

Intel GMA900

512MB RAM

Intel Centrino M processor