10.5.7 installed but only boots with 'maxmem' and 'cpus' flags

jizzcopter1

1 post in this topic

Hello OSx86 community,

Did a lot of googling + searching around for someone else with this problem but no luck. Essentially what is going on is I started with kalyway 10.5.2, upgraded up to 10.5.3 to get to the vanilla kernel, then did a combined update to 10.5.7 off Apple's website again with the vanilla kernel, making sure to delete the AppleIntelCPU and modifying the install script to include dsmos.kext. Only drivers I've had to mess with are ethernet and graphics card, which are both working.

Now here is the problem: It 10.5.7 works and everything, except for the fact that I can only get it to boot to the desktop by using maxmem=2048 and cpus=1 as my boot flags. For what it is worth I have also updated seatbelt.kext and disabler.kext, but I don't think that helped or hurt anything. I'd obviously like to not have to do this every time I restart and get full advantage of my hardware.

Speaking of my hardware now would be a good time to tell you what it is:

Stock intel Q6600 processor

4 gigs of DDR2 ram at 800mHz

Geforce 8800 GTS

8 hard drives (long story...)

ASUS P5N-D motherboard (nVidia 750i chipset)

Any help with this would be very much appreciated. I'm a computer engineering student who needs to do mozilla plugin development and make sure everything works okay on a Mac. Linux is my OS of choice, but as someone completely unacquainted with OS X, I'm finding that at least the terminal more or less behaves the same way as most systems I have used.

Also as a side note -- as a programmer, the fact that this is even possible and I have gotten this far installing OS X without needing to post anything speaks very highly to the quality of the work being done on this. Just phenomenal stuff.

Cheers and if there is any more info I can provide let me know!

Sorry -- left out some probably important info about what happens when I boot without the flags. First of all I should say that I can boot into a usable desktop using "cpus=1" as my only flag. If I try "cpus=2", it starts the X server okay and I get a blue screen with an arrow on it, but then it just freezes. If I boot with just "-v" then, I am getting a kernel panic right around where it starts to look for nVidia drivers it seems.