First Boot, No Output - Lifehacker i7 Build

PuzzleX

7 posts in this topic

Today I've finished my i7 Hackintosh build. This is the same as the Lifehacker build with these specs:

• Intel Core i7 2.8GHz
  • EVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB
  • ASUS P7P55D-E Motherboard
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB HDD
  • Antec Sonata III Case with 500W PSU
  • Samsung DVD Drive

When I boot, the fans are spinning on the PSU, case and video card. Everything appears to be working fine. However, I cannot get any output from the video card. My monitor screen appears as if there is no signal (I have tried two different screens).

The graphics card is PCI Express x16 and there does not appear to be any relevant ports for extra power on the card. The card has two DVI-out ports and came with 2 DVI to VGA connectors. I do not have a DVI cable so I am using the connector with a standard VGA cable.

Where am I going wrong? Any ideas on how I can get this build to output something?

Any ideas?

I have tried using my old ATi Radeon X300 128MB in the new machine (it has a VGA connection) and still no picture.

Does this rule out a fault with the graphics card? Could it be a faulty motherboard? Everything seems to be okay on the MB though with LED lights to signal things working.

Today I've finished my i7 Hackintosh build. This is the same as the Lifehacker build with these specs:

• Intel Core i7 2.8GHz
  • EVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB
  • ASUS P7P55D-E Motherboard
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB HDD
  • Antec Sonata III Case with 500W PSU
  • Samsung DVD Drive

When I boot, the fans are spinning on the PSU, case and video card. Everything appears to be working fine. However, I cannot get any output from the video card. My monitor screen appears as if there is no signal (I have tried two different screens).

The graphics card is PCI Express x16 and there does not appear to be any relevant ports for extra power on the card. The card has two DVI-out ports and came with 2 DVI to VGA connectors. I do not have a DVI cable so I am using the connector with a standard VGA cable.

Where am I going wrong? Any ideas on how I can get this build to output something?

This may seem silly, but does your motherboard have on-board graphics? If so what happens when you try plugging into that and booting?

Is the motherboard giving you a POST code (i.e. beeping when you turn it on.) If so what is the beep code it's sending you that could be a hint. If it's anything other than a single short beep it's probably indicating there is a problem somewhere. Also since you have already tried another video card lets have a look at what else could be causing the problem. First thing to check would be your ram. Make sure it is seated correctly and in the proper slot. Also if you have another couple sticks of ram you could substitute to check if that's your problem that's always the best way. Also make sure your CPU is seated correctly (unlikely this is the problem cause you probably would have seen some smoke if it wasn't lol). Check for electrical shorts. The mostly likely places for the these that I have seen is metal tabs from the IO shield at the back touching the pins in the connectiors (USB, Firewire etc. etc.) As well as the on the bottom of the board on the motherboard risers. Just make sure non of them are straying out side of where they should be possibly crossing some the leads on the bottom. There is some stuff to start with let us know if non of the that works for you.

Hi everyone, good news -- I've managed to get it working! The problem was that I had forgotten to plug a cable into the motherboard. Not sure how I managed to do that, but the good news is that it's fixed.

OSX is currently installing and then I'll install Windows 7 for a dual boot machine. Thanks for the help!