What are actually patches for?

Infamous

4 posts in this topic

Well i was trying to figure out what are the differences between the releases and why we just can't buy (cough) retail Tiger and install it on our Macs (cough)...

We have some SSE patches, AMD patches and stuff in the releases, but what these patches actually do? Why we need patches if we have the same hardware as in real Macs? I read that you need to use SSE3 "patch" if you have SSE3 CPU. Why need to crack what actually is there and working ?

So what's the difference between retail Tiger and torrent releases? Isn't EFI the only thing which needs to be removed ?

BTW, what "patches"/release do I need for 945G board with GMA950 (ADD2 DVI), Intel PCI NIC and P4 SSE3 ?

Thanks

There are MANY protections in OSX to stop people installing it on normal PCs. That is why patches are necessary. For example, nobody using non-apple hardware has (so far) been able to use a kernel later than 10.4.4, because of protections / features strategically removed to eliminate old hardware.

EFI is by no means the only barrier to OSX working on generic PCs, even those with 'identical' hardware as the intel macs.

the kernel is now open source once more, but it will take time for clever folks to figure out how to make it work on non-apple hardware. the kernel is also not the only place protections lie.

basically, its a lot more complex than you seem to think. here's another example - apple are ENCRYPTING certain system-critical files - a real mac has the TPM chip and the correct keys to decrypt and use them at runtime. these have had to be reverse-engineered too, by maxxuss and later semjaza.