noob having problems w/ WPA2 wifi on atheros AR9285 (iAtkos 10.6.3)

3 posts in this topic

I recently installed iatkos 10.6.3 on my Toshiba NB205 netbook, and almost everything is working except for the wifi. Airport shows up fine in the status bar and displays all available networks, and I have no problem connecting to an unsecured network (using it right now). But when I try to connect to my WPA2 home network, an exclamation point shows up on the airport icon and it says I have no internet connection. When I try to configure it manually, it says it's connected but I still can't browse the internet. Using this same network on ethernet works perfectly fine.

Also, I noticed that when I boot in verbose mode there is a line that says "Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros - not found and kextd not available in early boot." Not sure if this is relevant, since others who see this have said their wifi works fine.

I've spent hours googling this without much luck. I already replaced my IO80211Family kext with the updated one from 10.6.5, and I verified that my device ID is included in the kext. I tried updating my whole OS to 10.6.5, but the wifi had the same problems. I ended up doing a fresh reinstall of 10.6.3 since .5 really slowed down my computer, so I'm hoping not to have to update to get this to work. Has anyone else had better luck with this wifi card?

Hi,

I have been struggling with the same problem, but it seems that the AR9285 only supports WEP, not WPA2.

You can look up the threads on e.g. the samsung r780,580 that also use this chip in this forum and over at tonymac

Best,

Cat_7

Hi,

I have been struggling with the same problem, but it seems that the AR9285 only supports WEP, not WPA2.

You can look up the threads on e.g. the samsung r780,580 that also use this chip in this forum and over at tonymac

Best,

Cat_7

bah, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the reply though, I guess I'm not the only one with this problem.