10.6.6 upgrade breaks cd/dvd access in VMWare

fido5150

7 posts in this topic

I have an interesting problem.

Whenever I upgrade my VMWare virtual machine (Running 10.6.0) to 10.6.6, I can no longer mount .iso images or CD-Roms via the CD/DVD icon.

I'm running OSX in a VM using Albert's unlocker, and it's running great except for that little hiccup.

Does anyone have any idea why I'm losing the CD under 10.6.6, and how to possibly fix it?

Whenever I try to disconnect the CD/DVD from VMWare Player under 10.6.6, it warns me that it's being controlled by the guest OS, so the device is actually being used, OSX just doesn't mount and/or read the disk.

At the moment I'm sticking with my 10.6.0 VM that's functioning, but would like to upgrade to 10.6.6 so that I get all the security updates, etc.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I upgrade my VMWare virtual machine (Running 10.6.0) to 10.6.6, I can no longer mount .iso images or CD-Roms via the CD/DVD icon.

I'm running OSX in a VM using Albert's unlocker, and it's running great except for that little hiccup.

Does anyone have any idea why I'm losing the CD under 10.6.6, and how to possibly fix it?

Whenever I try to disconnect the CD/DVD from VMWare Player under 10.6.6, it warns me that it's being controlled by the guest OS, so the device is actually being used, OSX just doesn't mount and/or read the disk.

At the moment I'm sticking with my 10.6.0 VM that's functioning, but would like to upgrade to 10.6.6 so that I get all the security updates, etc.

Thanks.

I am having the same issue with 10.6.6 under VMWare Workstation 7.1.3 for Windows.

If you want updates get the 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 combo update from apple.

This is until 10.6.7 or greater is released.

I am amazed no one has replied to your post who are using VMWare with 10.6.6 with a solution.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

dare2001.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm having the same problem as well. A somewhat crude workaround is to use vwmare shared folder feature, and add the cd-rom drive as a shared folder.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Is the optical drives in question IDE or SATA? If they are IDE then you need to install the appropriate ATA kext for your cipset from Leopard to get them to work. At least I had to do that for my Gigabyte MA-785GM-U2SH motherboard as Snow Leopard did not have any kexts for the ATA. If you are using this board or a similar one with a ATI/AMD chipset just look up AppleATIATA.kext as that is the one you will need.

Is the optical drives in question IDE or SATA? If they are IDE then you need to install the appropriate ATA kext for your cipset from Leopard to get them to work. At least I had to do that for my Gigabyte MA-785GM-U2SH motherboard as Snow Leopard did not have any kexts for the ATA. If you are using this board or a similar one with a ATI/AMD chipset just look up AppleATIATA.kext as that is the one you will need.

I believe VMware emulates them as IDE drives, but the even simpler solution I just discovered is to change the drive to scsi. You can do this by going into Settings -> CD/DVD -> Advanced... and change the Virtual device node from IDE to SCSI. I picked SCSI 0:1 since 0:0 was being used by my hard drive. Let me know if this works for you guys.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe VMware emulates them as IDE drives, but the even simpler solution I just discovered is to change the drive to scsi. You can do this by going into Settings -> CD/DVD -> Advanced... and change the Virtual device node from IDE to SCSI. I picked SCSI 0:1 since 0:0 was being used by my hard drive. Let me know if this works for you guys.

Thanks, Lambo J! This worked for the most part. Audio CDs won't work with iTunes due to some mismanagement of a command from the drive but VLC does the job nicely for it. Quicktime handles video just fine.

• 2 months later...
Yeah, I'm having the same problem as well. A somewhat crude workaround is to use vwmare shared folder feature, and add the cd-rom drive as a shared folder.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

I do faced the same problem after the update. Thinking i had issues with my VMware i switched to the earlier snapshot.

Then i found the solution here on the site

"You can do this by going into Settings -> CD/DVD -> Advanced... and change the Virtual device node from IDE to SCSI"

I haven't tried it yet as i am again updating the OS. Let me know if this works

refer link : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t246823.html

credits to Lambo J...thanks buddy