Dual boot 10.6.3 and Windows 7 on Dell XPS M1330

IDH420

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm completely new to the world of MAC, but so far have managed to get it up and running on my M1330. The problem I have is trying to get dual boot working:

I partitioned my disk into 2 and installed 10.6.3 (worked fine from Retail DVD), then Windows 7 on the second partition. Installed Easy BCD V2.0 on Windows with the following results:

• Windows7 Boots fine
  • OS X starts to boot (I get the Chameleon loader screen) I select my OS X install and then get the Kernel Panic screen.
  • If I boot from my boot CD I used to install Snow Leopard, I select my MAC install and it loads perfectly.

The only difference I can see is the version of Chameleon on my boot CD (V2 RC3 r658) and the version on the hard disk partition (V2 RC4 r684).

Do I just need to downgrade the version of Chameleon already installed, if so any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm completely new to the world of MAC, but so far have managed to get it up and running on my M1330. The problem I have is trying to get dual boot working:

I partitioned my disk into 2 and installed 10.6.3 (worked fine from Retail DVD), then Windows 7 on the second partition. Installed Easy BCD V2.0 on Windows with the following results:

• Windows7 Boots fine
  • OS X starts to boot (I get the Chameleon loader screen) I select my OS X install and then get the Kernel Panic screen.
  • If I boot from my boot CD I used to install Snow Leopard, I select my MAC install and it loads perfectly.

The only difference I can see is the version of Chameleon on my boot CD (V2 RC3 r658) and the version on the hard disk partition (V2 RC4 r684).

Do I just need to downgrade the version of Chameleon already installed, if so any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

This happened to me as well. The fix was removing the AppleHDA kext. Loading in verbose mode without the Chameleon CD- what causes your panic?

Thanks for the help, unfortunately I still haven't managed to get this working. I tried both removing the AppleHDA kext and installing RC5 on a fresh install to a single partition (I've since discovered Parallel Desktops and now don't need the dual boot facility).

I've also booted in verbose mode (-v I think????) but don't actually know what I'm looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, after much trial and error I managed to get this working without the need for EasyBCD or [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. This is what worked for me:

1. Boot from iAtkos S3 (Snow Leopard 10.6.3 10D573) disk - takes several minutes – be patient!

2. Launch Disk utility and create two partitions as follows ensuring disk type is GUID:

· MS-DOS

· MAC OS (Journaled)

3. Quit OS installer.

4. Boot from Windows 7 disk and install to partition 0

5. Boot from iAtkos disk, once target disk is selected (i.e. Partition 1 created above), click on “customize”.

6. In addition to the default selections, check or un-check the following:

· Bootloader

i. Uncheck AsereBLN v1.1.9

ii. Check Chameleon v2 RC4

· Patches, RTC

i. Uncheck RTC

ii. Check RTC (32-bit)

· Drivers, Main Hardware, PS/2

i. Check Apple PS/2

· Drivers, Main Hardware, Laptop Hardware

i. Check Battery

· Drivers, VGA, nVidia, EFI String (I have the nVidia GeForce 8400M GS)

i. VGA/DVI

· Drivers, VGA, nVidia, Enablers

i. Check Natit

The following do not work (as far as I can see everything else works as it should):

• On board NIC
  • Wireless NIC (I purchased an 802.11 Mini USB card from eBay for about £8 which works fine)
  • Sound, although there are various patches that I need to try.
  • Shutdown / Restart needs a physical shutdown