Upgrading from 8800gt to GTX260

Biovital

2 posts in this topic

I have Iatkos S3v2 working flawlessly with my 8800GT. I simply selected the EFI string during the install process (DVI/VGA one), and thats it. Full specs are in sig btw.

Anyway I just ordered a GTX260 off ebay that should be coming today or tomorrow. However what worries me is the upgrade process.

What would happen if I replace the 8800GT with the GTX and boot into OSX? Would the EFI string I chose when I installed Iatkos automatically recognize the GTX, or am I looking at having to edit a bunch of files? Would I be able to at least boot into Snow Leopard and reinstall a new driver or does all this have to be done thru the CLI?

I only need to use a single DVI to drive 1 monitor, nothing else. Im not doing SLI either. Just wanna replace the 8800GT with the GTX on an exisiting OS X installation without having to reinstall the OS.

Well I installed the GTX260, booted into OSX and it works fine. However it still thinks its an 8800gt. Everything looks and runs great it seems. Any danger of just sticking with this then? I dont do any gaming on this thing, just internet, photo/video editing.