GMA950 Updating to 10.6.6

iLearnFast

9 posts in this topic

Alright so I installed iatkos s3 and I had selected the natit.kext and the AppleIntelGMA.kext (0x27ae) and without thinking I updated to 10.6.4, then 10.6.5 and then to 10.6.6. Once I got to 10.6.6 I realized that I no longer had multiple resolutions to choose from only 800x600 where as before any updates, I had like 5 to choose from. So then I installed natit.kext and AppleIntelGMA950.kext and repaired permissions, but now my netbook won't start. (it hangs on the apple screen.) So my question, how do I update to 10.6.6 without losing my properly working graphics card. Would I just copy the kexts to my desktop before each update, then install using kexthelper and repair permissions before restart? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I also selected EFI String in the installation. Also, I've read about people uninstalling kexts via terminal. How could I do this?, as it would save me from having to keep reinstalling after each trial and error.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I had a fresh installation of iatkos s3v2 I updated to 10.6.4 I opened up the DSDT Editor and this is what I tryed

File>extract DSDT

Patch> Open> DTGP.txt

IASL>Compile>Fix Errors

IASL> Save AML As> Desktop

Patch>Open> GMA950 laptop.txt

IASL>Compile>Fix Errors

IASL>Save AML AS>Desktop>Overwrite

Exited DSDT Editor

Go>Go To Folder> /Extra

Moved dsdt.aml from desktop to /Extra

Extra>Extensions and cut Natit.kext and moved it to the desktop

Reboot

Touchpad no longer works. (external usb mouse works)

Still only option is 800x600.

What did I do wrong. I've been googling about it but I still don't know exactly what I'm doing. Thanks in advance!

You may want to ask in the DSDT editor and patcher thread, thats where all the dsdt gurus are.

Why did you have the "Natit.kex" in extra if you did a clean install ? And after you removed it did you rebuild the "Extensions.mkext" in extra?

I guess the natit.kext was there because I selected it during the install, otherwise I have no idea how it got there because I recently reinstalled and haven't really messed with anything. No, I did not rebuild "extensions.mkext"because I do not know how. I will ask my dsdt question in the right thread. Thanks for your help. But, I would like to know how to rebuild extensions.mkext if its not too much trouble. Thanks!

I guess the natit.kext was there because I selected it during the install, otherwise I have no idea how it got there because I recently reinstalled and haven't really messed with anything.
Thats the trouble with "Distros", ever thought of a "Vanilla Install"

No, I did not rebuild "extensions.mkext"because I do not know how. I will ask my dsdt question in the right thread. Thanks for your help. But, I would like to know how to rebuild extensions.mkext if its not too much trouble. Thanks!
You need to learn how to search ;) This post will tell you the terminal commands http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=202119, Easily found with a search like this http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...mp;aql=&oq= Of course there are tools available that will do it automatically, but best to learn how to do things in terminal.

GMA950 (0x27ae) Should work with the vanilla kexts and a simple dsdt fix Use the editor from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223205 and apply the DTGP & GMA950 Laptop fixes. Remove any patched GMA950, patched framebuffer and natit kexts.

Does this work with the native kext's.

I would try to use it on a Asus Netbook 1000HE