mac osx on dell studio 1535

cduval04

2 posts in this topic

hey all. I am an IT student who NEEDS to get some mac experience under my belt. No, I don't want to buy a mac, I just want to play around with one for more than a few minutes at a friends and. I am also taking a video class on a mac this semester and don't want to spend my life @ school :)

I have a dell studio 1535 manufactured in 8/2008 specs are

Mainboard: Dell 0F700C

Chipset: Intel GM965

Processor: Intel Core 2 duo mobile T5750 2GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR2-SDRAM

Video Card: ATI Mobility Raedon HD 3450

DVD-Rom Drive: Toshiba Samsung DVD+-RW TS-T633A

NIC Card: Broadcom NetLink BCM5784M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe

Wireless Card: Broadcom BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n wireless LAN (Dell Wireless 1510 802.11n half mini card)

I have done some reading today, but for the most part am still a noob. I know that snow leopard can be installed with a patched image, and I know there are different distributions JaS, Kalyway, iPC and IDeneb but those are patched versions and then there's the Boot-132 method that allows you to install a retail leopard dvd and get updates from apple, and then I know there are emulators like LiveCD and I have been trying to read the thread in the OSx86 installation-->OSx86 10.5 (Leopard) called "Dell Studio 15 (1535)/Studio 17 (1735), Where are all the drivers at?"

I have also been looking at a page from lifehacker and a guide from thegadgets.net, but want to be sure I have compatible hardware and what is the best way to go on this. There is just so much material out there, so many distros, so many methods...

I really just want to play around with videos I took, use final cut pro and get to know the mac layout better, as long as my audio, video, wireless and USB drives work, I won't mind it.

if someone could tell me how to go about this, whether the live CD method would be good, or a full os install, only thing is I have windows 7 and would have to install a bootloader to dual boot.

• 9 months later...
hey all. I am an IT student who NEEDS to get some mac experience under my belt. No, I don't want to buy a mac, I just want to play around with one for more than a few minutes at a friends and. I am also taking a video class on a mac this semester and don't want to spend my life @ school :)

I have a dell studio 1535 manufactured in 8/2008 specs are

Mainboard: Dell 0F700C

Chipset: Intel GM965

Processor: Intel Core 2 duo mobile T5750 2GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR2-SDRAM

Video Card: ATI Mobility Raedon HD 3450

DVD-Rom Drive: Toshiba Samsung DVD+-RW TS-T633A

NIC Card: Broadcom NetLink BCM5784M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe

Wireless Card: Broadcom BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n wireless LAN (Dell Wireless 1510 802.11n half mini card)

I have done some reading today, but for the most part am still a noob. I know that snow leopard can be installed with a patched image, and I know there are different distributions JaS, Kalyway, iPC and IDeneb but those are patched versions and then there's the Boot-132 method that allows you to install a retail leopard dvd and get updates from apple, and then I know there are emulators like LiveCD and I have been trying to read the thread in the OSx86 installation-->OSx86 10.5 (Leopard) called "Dell Studio 15 (1535)/Studio 17 (1735), Where are all the drivers at?"

I have also been looking at a page from lifehacker and a guide from thegadgets.net, but want to be sure I have compatible hardware and what is the best way to go on this. There is just so much material out there, so many distros, so many methods...

I really just want to play around with videos I took, use final cut pro and get to know the mac layout better, as long as my audio, video, wireless and USB drives work, I won't mind it.

if someone could tell me how to go about this, whether the live CD method would be good, or a full os install, only thing is I have windows 7 and would have to install a bootloader to dual boot.

well, i am also taking up this challenge as i also have the same laptop and same specs. I would recomend a full install. a live cd can be quite a bit more of a pain in the butt. the only install i have got to sucessfully boot on my machine is iatkos v1.0, if you have found any info past the time you made this post, please let me know. im still working at it.