windows 7 and osx 10.6 recognize disk0 and disk1 differently

Frank Nitty

1 post in this topic

This has been irking me since i started trying to set up dual boot for Windows 7 and Mac OSX 10.6. Where do i begin, ok, here are my specs:

*i7 950

*EVGA X58 4-Way SLI Classified Mainboard 170-BL-E762-A1

*Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB)

*EVGA GTX 480 SC

*Western Digital 600 GB VelociRaptor

*OCZ Technology Vertex 2 SSD 180 GB

*Thermaltake ARMOR+ VH6000BWS Full Tower Case

*SilverStone 1200-W

*Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

*LG WH10LS30K 10X BLU-RAY BURNER SATA

I have Windows installed on the 180GB Harddrive and Mac OSX 10.6 installed on the 600 GB Harddrive. Now for some odd reason in Windows 7 when I run CMD prompt, using diskpart -> list disk, it shows my 600 GB Harddrive as disk0 and 180GB Harddrive as disk1. When I run terminal in Mac OSX 10.6, using diskutil list, it shows my 600 GB Harddrive as disk1 and 180GB Harddrive as disk0. I am wanting to install Mac OSX 10.6 on the 600GB Harddrive as disk0. When I look into the Bios of my board, within the boot priority, it shows 600 GB Harddrive as sata0 and 180GB Harddrive as sata1. So i tried switching out their sata cables. Looking at the Bios, it shows the 600 GB Harddrive as sata1 and 180GB Harddrive as sata0, but when using diskutil list, Mac OSX 10.6 still recognizes 600 GB Harddrive as disk1 and 180GB Harddrive as disk0. Mind you I am wanting to install Mac OSX 10.6 on the 600GB Harddrive as disk0. After shutting down my system, I unplugged the sata cable from the 180GB Harddrive, and when using diskutil list, Mac OSX 10.6 recognizes 600 GB Harddrive as disk0. So I decide to shutdown my system and plug back the sata cable for the 180GB Harddrive, Mac OSX 10.6 still recognizes 600 GB Harddrive as disk1 and 180GB Harddrive as disk0. Why is this the case? I don't understand what is the mix up with Mac OSX 10.6? So now will I be forced to reinstall Mac OSX 10.6 on the 180GB Harddrive and reinstall Windows 7 on the 600 GB Harddrive? What am I missing? This has been driving me ever since I tried the dual boot option. I just need to know if there is any tweak I can perform on my end to solve my problem. Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.