AthlonXP through VMware?

8 posts in this topic

I tried a VMware session of Intel Tiger on an athlonXP 2500+ machine (no, no SSE2 or SSE3.) I get a kernel panic as soon as the OS starts booting. Is there any way I can set VMware to emulate SSE2? I know it won't be speedy, but I really only want to give this a test run.

I tried a VMware session of Intel Tiger on an athlonXP 2500+ machine (no, no SSE2 or SSE3.) I get a kernel panic as soon as the OS starts booting. Is there any way I can set VMware to emulate SSE2? I know it won't be speedy, but I really only want to give this a test run.

u had any joy with this, since like-wise i have the vmware image that i've DD'd to a spare HD, and get the Apple initial screen, but just shows big note telling me to shut-down the PC, grrrrrrr

Nope, I haven't got it working. You need some sort of SSE2 emulation in order to use an athlonXP, which is what I assume you have.

The screen you see is what OSX gives you when it has a kernel panic.

just what i was starting to think, so been looking around for a cheap SSE3 cpu and m/b, looks like intel is the way to go, since only AMD's FX range have SSE3 and they are funny money atm.

When you remove the USB-emulation, you won't get a kernel panic!