[GUIDE] Installing SL 10.6.x (Intel Chipsets + GMA)

1 post in this topic

INSTALLING SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.X ON HACKBOOKS/HACKMACS

A General Guide

After weeks of refining and tweaking SL installs, I have come up with a guide that should work for most desktop/laptop users. Before continuing, a little about my setup:

ASUS R1E Tablet PC (2007)

Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4Ghz

Intel Mobile 965GM Express Chipset

4GB DDR2 667MHz

13.3” WXGA with Integrated Wacom Digitizer

Samsung Spinpoint MP4 640GB SATAII

Intel GMA X3100

Cambridge Silicon Radio Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Intel 82566 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Intel WiFi 4965 AGN (Replaced with USB Rosewill RNX-N1)

My laptop (tablet) is uncommon on the market but contains a lot of mainstream components. Despite this, I am able to run the latest Snow Leopard (10.6.5) with native Quartz Extreme enabled, SpeedStep, Sleep, and even inking functioning normally (currently with additional kexts, for now--trying to be more vanilla than neapolitan ;). If all goes well, you should have a working functional install within an hour.

So far, everything is working perfectly except for the Intel wireless card (which will never be compatible). I get greater performance and battery life than Windows (no surprise there). The only quirk I have is that some of my Fn shortcuts don't work (don't use them anyway).

NOTE: The following steps may also apply to other laptops/desktops. To prevent data loss, you should consider using a separate or clean disk to test your install. I am not responsible for your mistakes nor damages caused by your negligence.

I. Requirements

• Usual hardware requirements for OSX86 (Google it)
  • Latest Ubuntu live cd (Google it and burn to disc)
  • Snow Leopard DVD (Buy the DVD--only $30--or Google)
  • Nawcom ModCD (Google it and burn to disc)
  • Additional Applications/Packages/KEXTs (I have attached the below files (1-9 only) for the sake of the forum rules)
    1. Kext Utility--Repairs permissions in /E/E and /S/L/E, installs kexts, and updates/extracts .mkexts
    2. DSDT Patcher--Fixes the DSDT for Mac to communicate with non-Apple hardware
    3. Voodoopowermini--Enhances CPU power management (Intel SpeedStep)
    4. VoodooPS2Controller--Enhances reliability of PS2 devices
    5. EvoReboot--Fixes shutdown/restart issues
    6. SleepEnabler--Self-explanatory
    7. SmartSleep--Sets default sleep mode (standby only, hibernate only, or both) via preference pane
    8. Latest Chameleon--Loads custom kexts and DSDT before booting Mac
    9. ACPIDump for ubuntu (i386)--Dumps DSDT, SSDT, and other ACPI tables for advanced patching
    10. If you have a Tablet PC, download Axitron's Modbook driver (Google it)
    11. Other drivers for your Mac compatible peripherals if any

Download Link: SL_Additional_Downloads.zip

II. Getting Started

1. Backup important data
  2. Disconnect unnecessary peripherals (printers, scanners, cameras, etc)
  3. Adjust BIOS setting for SATA drives to run in AHCI mode (not IDE)
    • This setting may also be labeled "SATA operation mode." Be sure to set it to “Enhanced” (not “Compatible”)

III. Installing Snow Leopard

1. Insert the Nawcom boot cd and restart (make sure BIOS boots to CD)
  2. At the boot screen, swap the disc with the OSX dvd. Wait 10-15 seconds then hit F5 until the OSX DVD appears
  3. Select “Mac OSX Install DVD” but do not press enter yet. Instead, type in “mach_kernel” (w/o quotes) then press enter -- IMPORTANT!
    • If you don’t get to the install screen, repeat steps 1-3 but without boot arguments or use -x for safe boot. If you still cannot get through, then try another boot cd.

• If you are able to get to the install screen using the vanilla kernel, there is a high (95%) probability that you will get native GMA support with Quartz Extreme once SL is installed

[*]Once you’re through, go to Disk Utility and partition the hard drive to your liking using GUID as your partition scheme

• Note: All data on the drive will be ERASED. Make sure you backup before committing this action

• If you plan on dual-booting windows along with other OSes, make sure to install windows LAST--Windows doesn’t play nice when booting on GUID/GPT volumes (as usual)

[*]Quit Disk Utility

[*]Once the installer screen shows, click next

[*]Select the disk where you want to install SL

[*]Click Customize

[*]Deselect everything EXCEPT for the options added by the boot cd (labeled "CUSTOM OPTIONS")

• If you plan to run Wine, check the X11 option | For Cocoa or PPC apps, check Rosetta

[*]Finally, install! (Takes about 20 min)

• If the restart hangs for more than 5 mins, do a hard restart (turn off then on)--happens if dsdt is not patched or shutdown/restart fixes are not loaded

[*]After the computer restarts, interrupt the countdown and boot with "-v Wait=Yes" argument (w/o quotes) to see if errors are present in the bootloader and the kernel.

[*]Once you complete the welcome, go to the folder where you placed the downloaded files in Section I then copy that folder to the desktop. Follow the post-install procedures.

POST-INSTALL RECOMMENDED PROCEDURES

Fixing video issues / updating Chameleon

1. Amazingly (at least for my system), the solution to fix the weird display problems and enable Quartz Extreme after a fresh install is to simply install the latest chameleon bootloader (Google for the instructions or read the readme)
  2. Restart after updating Chameleon and hope for the best
  3. To test for Quartz Extreme capability, open Dashboard and add a widget. If there is a ripple effect, QE is enabled
    Note: System Profiler will not display Quartz Extreme status. Recent Mac versions omit this information since it is assumed that all recent and genuine Macs are QE-capable. So use the above check for QE

Patching DSDT

Step 1: Obtaining original DSDT, SSDT, and ACPI tables

1. Boot into Ubuntu using live cd--Make sure you have internet connection
  2. Go to the folder where you downloaded acpidump and run/install the .deb file (just double-click and follow instructions)
  3. Open terminal and enter these commands to obtain pure DSDT, SSDT, and other ACPI tables:
    sudo apt-get install iasl
    sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml
    iasl -d dsdt.aml > dsdt.asl
    sudo acpidump > ACPIDUMP.output
    acpixtract -a ACPIDUMP.output

Side Note: The last two commands just extract all ACPI tables in case you want to explore or do advanced patching

4. Open your home folder and copy dsdt.aml, dsdt.asl, ACPIDUMP.output, and all the *.dat files to a new folder on your UFD/External called ORIGINAL ACPI TABLES (Make a copy or zip the folder in case you make a mistake when patching)
  5. Restart and boot to SL

Step 2: Patching

1. Once in SL, extract/copy the DSDT patcher archive to the desktop
  2. Copy dsdt.dsl from step 1.4 to the DSDT patcher folder on the desktop
  3. Open terminal and run the following command (replacing the path as necessary):
    <Path to DSDT patcher>/DSDT\ Patcher dsdt.dsl

4. Follow the on-screen directions to generate a patched DSDT.
    Note: Compilation errors require advanced patching but warnings can be ignored (ask around nicely for help)--I am not a coder/programmer so don't ask me for help with DSDT
  5. Copy the patched dsdt.aml (located in the same folder as the DSDT Patcher) to / and /E (root and Extra folder)--Don't know which folder chameleon searches
  6. Restart and type in “Wait=Yes” (w/o quotes) at the Chameleon boot screen to verify if your DSDT was loaded by Chameleon
    N00b Hint: All boot arguments are CaSe SeNsIiTive (wait=yes will not work)

If you get an Error 4068 when compiling, follow these steps:

1. Open your original dsdt.dsl in TextEdit
  2. Make sure the first value of the DefinitionBlock method looks like this (There should be no path info for dsdt.aml):
    DefinitionBlock ("dsdt.aml", "DSDT" .....

3. Try patching again (Delete and re-extract the DSDT Patcher to the desktop)

Fixing Audio (When using Voodoo HDA)

If you are hearing microphone feedback or other weird noises when using the VoodooHDA kext follow these steps:

1. Copy the VoodooHDA kext from /S/L/E to the desktop
  2. Edit the Info.plist inside using TextEdit
  3. Look for the iGain key under MixerValues
  4. Change the string property underneath iGain from 90 to 0. Should look like this:
    <key>MixerValues</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>iGain</key>
    			<string>0</string>
    			<key>iMix</key>
    			<string>0</string>
    		</dict>

5. Reinstall the kext using Kext Utility. Feedback should be gone after restart

Fixing keyboard, touchpad, or other input device issues

If your input devices work intermittently or you use PS2 devices, follow these steps:

1. Delete anything VoodooPS2 related from /E/E and /S/L/E
  2. Delete AppleACPIPS2Nub kexts from /E/E and /S/L/E (Might be hidden inside other kexts)
  3. Install the new VoodooPS2 controller package (check all options)
  4. (Optional) If you want /S/L/E to be more vanilla, you may move the VoodooPS2Controller kext to /E/E
  5. Run Kext Utility and restart

(Optional) Upgrading to 10.6.5

1. Once you have the basic components working, download and update SL to 10.6.5 using the dmg file NOT through ASU
  2. During the update process, DO NOT hover over the dock or use any applications otherwise you may get a KP! However, move the mouse to avoid sleeping
  3. Once Installer is done, DO NOT restart! Keep installer open and run Kext Utility just as a precaution. Then restart.

Enabling SpeedStep, Shutdown/Restart fixes, and sleep

NOTE: If you plan to update to 10.6.5, apply the SpeedStep fix ONLY AFTER upgrading. Otherwise you will get a KP because of missing/unloaded kexts. However, you may install the Shutdown/Restart and sleep fixes at any time.

1. Delete NullCPUPowerManagement, AppleCPUPowerManagement, and AppleCPUPowerManagementClient kexts from /E/E and /S/L/E
  2. Place VoodooPowerMini, EvOreboot, and SleepEnabler kexts into /E/E
  3. Install SmartSleep
    Note: Chameleon currently doesn’t support wake/resume from encrypted images so, uncheck “Use secure virtual memory” in Security preference pane
  4. Run Kext Utility
  5. Restart and try to sleep (not literally ;))
    If sleep (standby) hangs on resume/wake BUT resumes after a hard reset, set sleep to “hibernate only” from SmartSleep preference pane.

Other boot problems

Problem: USB Devices intermittently work OR you see a USB error-related message during verbose boot like "Unable to initialize UIM" OR "unable to obtain ownership from BIOS"

Solution: Add “USBBusFix=Yes” flag (w/o quotes) to your com.apple.Boot.plist using sudo nano in terminal.

N00b Hint: You cannot just edit/copy system files into place under regular accounts. You must be in the context of root. Hence, the prefix "sudo" (wish windows was that easier)

Problem: During verbose boot, you see an error message such as "xxx is not backed by physical memory"

Solution: Just restart. This is a rare event caused by bugs in the bootloader.

Problem: I sometimes get a kernel panic for no apparent reason

Solution: Just restart. This is just M$'s desperate attempts to keep you from using Mac :D

There you have it! A simple SL install with minimal effort. Be prepared to spend hours getting used to the Mac environment--but it's well worth it. Have fun :D

Special thanks to: The OSX86 Project, Insanely Mac Forums, and all contributors of this effort.

To the moderator(s): I apologize for double posting. At the time, I could only post in the New Users Lounge. This is more of a guide so I think it should be posted here.