Cannot boot OS X 10.6 on 890FXA-GD70

Balthasar

14 posts in this topic

I tried everything to get this thing to boot but its extremely picky, sometimes i get it to start to the installer but when i start partitioning it begins to act funky and begins to freeze, sometimes it just freezes or sometimes it just {censored} out different kernel panics that dont relate to anything the previous one did. Specs: Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz Black Edition, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Mainboard, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB HD + 640GB HD (the drive where OS X is being installed on). Im installing it over USB using the official OS X 10.6 Media on a HD but even over a DVD using a non-Original OS X Disk it still does these things. This one is what happens the most, it just freezes at random points with no panic or nothing, it just, freezes.

Having the same mobo and processor, but no luck.

Tried install in a normal AMD machine, successful. Then transfer the hard disk to 890 mobo machine, boot with nawcom bootloader, using legacy_kernel, it runs.

The only thing is, it get unknown processor running at 3.2 Ghz. Any idea how to solve this?

Now trying to get my Gigabyte HD5670 running with it, still in the process.

Having the same mobo and processor, but no luck.

Tried install in a normal AMD machine, successful. Then transfer the hard disk to 890 mobo machine, boot with nawcom bootloader, using legacy_kernel, it runs.

The only thing is, it get unknown processor running at 3.2 Ghz. Any idea how to solve this?

Now trying to get my Gigabyte HD5670 running with it, still in the process.

Wait you mean you got the darn thing to work on a 890FXA-GD70? guess ill try nawcom's bootloader. Also the Unknown thing is sorda normal with AMD systems cause all OS X understands is Intel's so it prob will show "Unknown 3.2Ghz" this is normal. I think there is a kext that makes it show the right AMD processor name but im unaware of one.

I just have one issue with this thing, everything works EXCEPT sound. It actually plays but its extremely crackled out using the latest VoodooHDA.kext. Its the ALC889a. Any fix?

Not manage up to testing the sound yet. Frustrated with the video resolution.

You are good. I didn't manage to make my video Gigabyte HD5670 working. Following all the steps on HD5670 guide, didn't manage to make it work.

It shows PCIe 8x speed only with 256MB. No resolution can be selected. Any suggestion?

Did you make fresh install using the MSI 890FX-GD70, or using my way? Mind to tell on how to do the installation?

Not manage up to testing the sound yet. Frustrated with the video resolution.

You are good. I didn't manage to make my video Gigabyte HD5670 working. Following all the steps on HD5670 guide, didn't manage to make it work.

It shows PCIe 8x speed only with 256MB. No resolution can be selected. Any suggestion?

Did you make fresh install using the MSI 890FX-GD70, or using my way? Mind to tell on how to do the installation?

On Video I honestly dont remember how i got the thing working, i just updated to 10.6.6 and enabled GraphicsEnabler, but what was weird was the first time i tried that my display was garbled and all monochrome. I do notice i have both ATI_init + Graphics Enabler=Yes, idk if thats how i got it working. But im using the HD 5750 which is actually in a iMac so its alot easier then maybe the 5670 i have no idea.

EDIT: Way i did it was edit ATI5000Controller.kext add the device id 0x68BE1002 and make sure Graphics Enabler is Yes. ATY_init.kext was not needed in my case. But again this is a HD 5750.

On install i just used nawcom's bootdisk and booted off my USB Disk that contains the OS X Disk, worked well. Just other then sound being garbled with VoodooHDA it works well.

EDIT: And here i just used defaults and then i updated to 10.6.6 and used the 10.6.6 Legacy Kernel.

On install i just used nawcom's bootdisk and booted off my USB Disk that contains the OS X Disk, worked well. Just other then sound being garbled with VoodooHDA it works well.

EDIT: And here i just used defaults and then i updated to 10.6.6 and used the 10.6.6 Legacy Kernel.

Cool. Which distro or the retail OS X disk you are using?

• 1 month later...
Cool. Which distro or the retail OS X disk you are using?

Im using just retail OS X.

Oh ya, any bios special setting? I keep getting this "Waiting for root device" error.

Not that i know of, it just worked. But you HAVE to use the nawcom boot disk. Other ones are either gonna fail to boot like what i had happen (Empire EFI) or wont have the kexts to do bootup (Waiting for root device)

But that means your missing the ATIATA.kext which is needed for the chipset this board has. IIRC again Nawcom's CD has that kext already.

To upgrade to 10.6.6 just get the combo update, install, and then download and install the 10.6.6 Legacy Kernel (I cannot remember the link) BEFORE REBOOTING. Otherwise you will be unable to boot.

Ill post a install guide when i have a chance to help newcomers with this dang board. Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...