Success - Triple Boot

gringomalo

3 posts in this topic

Well, after a little problem getting the boot manager to work right, I have finally had success with a triple boot on my computer.

My specs are:

ASUS A8V-E Deluxe Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Venice core

300 GB SATA Hard drive

Gigabyte Gerforce 6600 256 MB (No accelaration obviouslY0

The method I used was first installing Windows x64 on my computer, and then creating 2 other ext3 partitions using partition magic. When that was done, I used the generic patch made by bender to install natively from the DVD to one of my paritions. At this point, I was not able to actually boot into OSX86, so I attempted to use boot magic as my boot loader, which failed miserably(I think it was actually some type issue with x64, not sure), but decided to go ahead and install SUSE 9.3 to see if GRUB might work. While it did not show up intially on the GRUB screen, I just manually entered it into the configuration file, and viola, I was able to boot into OSX86. It's pretty cool since I haven't actually used a Mac since the days of OS 8, but I guess I'll be using it now :(

Only problems that I have right now is sound only comes through left speaker(I saw the thread about it, but I am not sure if a definite fix has been found for it), and my onboard wireless controller does not work (internet would be nice). If anybody has worked with this ASUS mobo and might know so fixes, let me know.

Hi gringomalo

I have also got triple boot working with windows/gentoo/mac os x, but I use bothe the grub bootloader and windows, wich is a bit stupid if it's possible to use grub for all.

So I would like to know how you have configured your bootloader, maybe you could upload the config file?

I first installed Windows then created a 10 GB and a 100 GB Apple formated partition. Then used dd to copy the tiger-x86-flat.img the small partition. Then I used Disk Utility to do a Restore to the big partition (to break the 6 gb barrier).

After that I erased the 10 Gb partition and created the nessesary Linux partitions.

By the way my hardware is:

ASRock 910GL motherboard (onboard grapfics with both QE and CI)

200 GB harddisk

and 512 MB Ram

• 3 months later...