Do I have to dualboot WinXP/OSX?

Crucial

9 posts in this topic

I have a dell laptop and would like to install OSX, but all of the installation guides say to have WinXP installed and to dualboot with OSX. I have no use for WinXP so do I really have to have it installed taking a partition and precious space on my HD?

If I start with an unpartitioned empty hard drive and want to install OSX, what procedure do I need to use to get the hard drive ready to install osx? I have Hiran's Boot CD.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

Another question. When I do the intstall, how do I know which patches to use? Like the Intel patch and the SSE, SSE2, SSE3, ect..

It's a Dell Inspiron 2650 with a Pentirum 4-M 1.8/1.2GHZ

Can I just check the patches for the intel, SSE2, and SSE3 or are you only supposed to check one?

No, you don't have to dual boot.

Make sure the hard drive partition is primary, active and set to ID=AF

In the first screen of the installer, you will go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility to format your partition. Select the partition on the left and on the right be sure it says MacOS Extended Journaled, then press Erase

When you get to the point where you click the Install button, first click on the Customize button and select packages that pertain to your computer. Click the little arrow in front of the items to reveal the various packages.

You must select only one of the SSE2 or SSE3 items. Look up the specs of your processor on the vendors website to determine whether it is SSE2 or SSE3 or Google it.