Graphics card - need advice

Clemme

2 posts in this topic

Hi guys

First of all thanks for this great forum. If it wasn't for the forum I wouldn't be able to run a quad core i7 OSX almost straight out of the box. Its so cool :)

My specs. are looking like this

i7 920 8MB

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R

Intel X25-M 80GB solid state drive (system drive)

OCZ Platinium PC3-12800 triple channel memory 3x2GB

ATI x300 Radeon DVI / VGA graphics card

+ several internal SATA and ATA hard drives

The problem I have is my graphics card which really slow down the system. I have tried a number of different kexts, but none seems to fit and I can only get one screen to work. I will therefore skip the current card a get a new one.

I would therefore ask for some advice in choosing the right one, but there is a few requirements...

• Its a music computer (DAW running Protools 9) so no games or other hardcore demanding graphics, but one the other hand it shouldnt create a bottleneck
  • I need a dual screen setup, either VGA / DVI or dual DVI.
  • I would prefer passive cooling, because of the noise
  • Price is off cause an issue, but I dont want to end up with a card that needs replacement within six months :D
  • My skills in tweaking OSX and hackintosh aren't that good so an out of the box solution would also be preferable

I hope this all make sense and that its possible to suggest a new card for my setup

Thanks in advance

Jakob Clemen

I am pretty new to the hackintosh scene myself but I quickly learned that graphics cards are nearly always a problem unless u match the spec of a real mac perfectly, my laptop gfx card is not supported so I just had to use a modified boot file and edit boot plist to achieve native resolution which is good enough for my needs.

Check out the Hardware Compatibility List here

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

and just get 1 of the cards that have QE/CI support

The "Radeon HD 3650" for example is 1 card with full support inc dual display!!

Good luck!! :-)